loose rear mounts

scoflaw

Ensign
Putting the motor back in and tightned the rear mounts. Working on getting the alighnment right and noticed a lot of play in the rear mount area. Is this normal? Do the bushings wear out back there. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: loose rear mounts

Yes, they do wear out, but usually not in 10 years. Are you sure you have all the hardware installed? Where is the play at, in the rubber itself, or on the bolt?

scoflaw

Ensign

The fiber washer is a ways from the bottom of the bell housing. not sure how thick the fiber washers should be. The motor moves up and down back there. I would think the fiber washer should be snug between the bell and transom mount.

scoflaw

Ensign

How thick is this fiber washer supposed to be? Is the spring washer, when installed recessed in the fiber washer? This seloc manual is not too clear on the order of the parts.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here hope this helps

Attachments

• Rear%20mounts.jpg
    Rear%20mounts.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2

scoflaw

Ensign

My question is... Is that fiber washer sandwiched tightly between the bell housing and the transom housing?

scoflaw

Ensign

My bushing, thats pressed into the bell housing, is protruding out the bottom and is giving me space between the bellhousing and the fiber washer.

Don S

The bellhousing should be touching the fiber washer.
Do you have all the parts assembled as shown in the picture posted above?

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Put the fiber washer on the bottom then the spring washer in between the rear motor mount on the motor and the motor mount on the transome plate....If thats what your asking it is sanshiched kinda between them...have you double checked to make sure the spring washers didnt fall out I know it took me a dozen times to get it perfected....If you dont have the fiber washer or the spring or neither one in it will be next to impossible to align the motor

scoflaw

Ensign

I do have everything assembled correctly. Maybe my bushing in the bellhousing has shifted and is not allowing the bellhousing to contact the transom bracket correctly.???

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok in useing the terms in the pic above what are you refering to bellhousing....Is it the rear motor mount on the engine?.....You asked above it the washer should be sanwhiched in there no there should be a spring washer in there. Does one bushing look lower than another?

ziggy

Admiral

the bell housing refereed to is the fly wheel cover. it has the mounting tabs to mount to the inner transom assy. the inner transom assy. has the rubber motor mounts. these can wear.

the fly wheel cover mounts sit on top of the inner transom assy. the fiber washer sits on the inner transom assy. the bush sits on the inside dia. of the fiber washer. the spring inside the spacer (bush) inside that. the bolt goes through the whole assy.

anyone, correct me if i'm in error in my statement...

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with you atleast in the motor I took out 3 times but it was a 1980

scoflaw

Ensign

Does anyone know how thick new fiber washers are, and does the double wound spring look completley compressed when its in your hand?

Bondo

Staff member

Does anyone know how thick new fiber washers are, and does the double wound spring look completley compressed when its in your hand?

Ayuh,... Do you have the Old style, or New style Don mentioned..??

The old style fiber washers are about 3/16" thick...
The spiral washer should Look like a spiral, not a solid piece....

The flywheel cover should set ON the fiber washer... No dead air space...
have you double checked to make sure the spring washers didnt fall out I know it took me a dozen times to get it perfected....

What I do is, set the fiber washer, 'n spiral washer, 'n the nut in place,...
Then wrap it in masking tape to hold their positions...
Then you can easily push the bolt though the tape to the nut, 'n everything is aligned with each other...

scoflaw

Ensign

Looks like I have the old style, but not completely sure. My spring washer is crushed tight. My rubber steel bushing thats pressed into the flywheel cover, sits lower than the mounting ear on the flywheel cover. When I put it all together, I have a lot of space between the fiber washer and the flywheel cover. Looks to be about the same width as my crushed spring. Either I don't need the spring or the rubber bushing is not pressed in to the correct depth.

Don S

The fiber washers are the same for old style or new style mounts.

Why don't you post some pictures showing how your engine is sitting on the mounts.