1 stringer rotten.....what if i leave it?

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
21.5 Campion Fishing Machine 1989 (center console/cuddy). New boat to me this spring, now that it's put away for the winter I'm checking the structure. Transom seems solid but some dampness, I've opened it up and drying over winter, then will apply CPES to prevent any further deterioration (everything is very solid and all test holes i drilled are clean damp wood only. Tapping is solid everywhere. crawled into the bilge (very tight) and drilled/ 2" holesawed the stringers to inspect, port side stringer is dry and solid, starboard is wet rotten from 12" from transom to as far as i can reach towards the bow. I have about 2.5' that i can open up and clean out and pour epoxy or something (very very tight in there) The stringers seem to be out of 2x10 fir, other than pop the cap and replace what are my options? What will only having 1 stringer do for safety? what can happen? , the boat is extremely solid otherwise and you would never know that this stringer problem was there.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1 stringer rotten.....what if i leave it?

If its wet it will NEVER dry out and it WILL rot.

The only way to prolong the life of your boat is to remove and replace all the wet material...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

And CPES will do nothing to help the situation.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

If you have rot, there is NO way to short cut the system, it MUST be replaced and fixed, rot is like the plague, it will spread..don't short cut your boat, repair it properly and enjoy a long fulfilling relationship with your boat!

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

McG......If the factory put two of them there...they must have had a reason!!!!
Seriously, would you bet your life or your familys just to save a little work??????
Pull the sole(floor) and replace bot stringers and KNOW your boat is OK!!!!!!!
Jim

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone..not the news i was hoping for but...... so i get into the bilge area and cut into he starboard stringer and well you guys were right...it has very little structural strength left an i can only imagine that it continues towards the bow. Soooo...... I'm convinced that the easiest way to do this is to pop the cap so i can easily get at everything. that seems fairly strait forward but how much might the cap weight? It also looks like the stringer has no fiberglass on the outside starboard edge...when i pushed from port to starboard with a screwdriver I ended up in the foam on the other side.....???? This is probably where the water has been coming from...... So...at this point need help on how to proceed. thanks for steering me strait.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Pics are going to come sooner or later.. :)

might as well make them sooner. got some ?

YD.

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, i plan on documenting everything with pics for when i eventually sell it to move up in size. Should hold/increase the resale value i would think..... now to figure out how to post pics ;-)