Zodiac Pro II 470 w/40hp 4-stroke

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I found a Zodiac Pro II 470 for a reasonable price. It comes with a 40hp Yamaha 4-stroke.

The hull is a '98, the motor is a '06 and the tubes are (will be) new (PVC). This boat is also having the console and seat replaced. Since it is all being replaced, I would have the option of changing the console and seating arrangement to my liking (within reason).

As far as I can tell, the Pro II series hull is closed unit. There is no under floor bilge like a Yachtline boat. What ever water gets in will slosh around your feet and not drain away. Is this correct?

Anyone have any experience with this type of boat? Is the 40hp engine sufficient for this boat (mostly just 2 reasonable size adults riding)?

This boat will mostly be used inshore and inland waters, but there can be some fairly large boats running in the same area.

Thanks.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Zodiac Pro II 470 w/40hp 4-stroke

Let's say I get this boat. I can have them put some seats on it from their stock or I can either get some and put them on myself or I can have them install them.

So the questions are:

What are the manufacturers that have seats for rib boats? I'd like some of the seats to have storage compartments underneath. I've seen pontoon boat seats that may be ok. It seems that the manufacturers that come up most in web searches are Todd Industries and B and M.

What is the best way to attach these seats. I seem to recall that there are stainless inserts that Zodiac recommends for attaching stuff to their hulls.

I'd probably want to put a depth gauge on this boat. It'd probably a through hull one. Do these work ok?

I'd need to put an access plate in the top deck to get to the inside of the hull to mount the transducer. Would this be ok? There are plates that have seals to keep water out. I'd also need to put a hole in the hull to pass the wire to the transducer.

I'd also like to put a covered locker on this boat (separate from the seats). It'd be nice to have one in the bow (the newer models have them built in) and maybe one across the back to hold the fuel tank and stuff. The battery would probably be in the console (or vice versa).

Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

By closed unit hull, you mean one frp hull/deck layer instead of double layer (hull + upper deck) ? Both versions must have drain water valve at transom. 470 ribs are rated for 50/60 HP long shaft engines, a 40 is short to get the max adrenaline out of that sib, nevertheless, will take both of you as you plan to use it.

What happened with the Yachline alternative ? A 420 rib is already large, why would you like to go larger for just 2 boaters ?

Happy Boating

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

The Yachtline 420 was ok, had a bigger engine, and was ready to go. However, the tubes are 8 years old.

In the case of the Pro 2 it is a little bigger, has a newer engine, and brand new tubes (with warranty). With the Pro 2 I have the opportunity to arrange it the way I want.

The asking price for both boats is the same (although the Pro 2 doesn't have a trailer). I haven't decided on either one yet. Although right now I'm leaning to the Pro 2. I could put the Yachtline in the water today and go, the Pro 2 is being rebuilt and won't be ready 'til sometime in December (tubes on order) which is winter here.

Until recently I had a 310 console rib. It met an untimely end. This boat ran fine on smooth water, but when out with other boats or in the chop the ride for anyone in the front could be a bit rough (at the console the ride was always pretty good). It was also a bit too small for us. A larger boat should ride better and will have more room. There will be enough room so that no one will need to ride in the very front of the boat (unless at max load).

By closed hull I mean that the bottom of the boat (in the water) and the top of the hull (when the seats attach) are one unit. It is hollow but there is no access to the interior of this piece by the end user without cutting a hole. On the Yachtline, there is access to the interior of the hull though the storage compartments and other access covers.

Thanks.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Bought this boat. Looking around for consoles and seats. The boat has one bench seat at the back for the driver. There is one console available from the place I bought the boat from, but I'd like to see other options. I haven't got any response to email from the regional Zodiac dealer (the boat is coming from another dealer).

I was thinking that I might build my own bench seat. I'd make some sort of storage box and bolt a couple of seats on top.

I was wondering if it'd be better to mount the box flat on the deck (fiberglass hull) or mount it on small ribs to have a passage underneath, mostly to let water move from the front of the boat to the aft drain. If I mount the box flat on the deck, I could caulk all the way around to keep the water out.

The box for the seats will likely be made of wood and then I'll varnish the hell out of it.

If the seat works out ok, I'd also like to make a bow locker for storage space.