Cracked Block - From Freezing?

crwallaceva

Cadet
I purchased a boat last August. After checking it out everything appeared normal. Ran good, etc. <br /><br />While I was winterizing in Oct. I changed plugs, but while down there I noticed a bulge and rusty seam. It was definately a crack running parrallel with the head about 4" down. Not only that it was a "V" shaped crack. <br /><br />Compression check showed that no internal crack - oil is running clean. <br /><br />Thinking of cold welding after cleaning crack (JB Weld or equivelant) Not sure how long this will last, since this isn't just a straight crack. <br /><br />Any ideas out there? don't think "lacing" would help.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Chris

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cracked Block - From Freezing?

Clean and rough-up the surfaces and epoxy away. I'll bet the previous owner got rid of it for that very reason. Marine Tex is my personal choice. Stays in place much better than JB Weld until it sets up. Stronger, too. Good Luck!!!

Walt T

Lieutenant

As long as it isnt leaking and you dont have water in the oil you'll be okay. The other side of that wall is a water jacket, not the cylinder.

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, i had one with a crack a foot long, filled it with JB weld. Ran it another 2 years with no problems. The only thing is if you overheat it for another reason, it's gonna be the weak link and may need to be refilled again.

crwallaceva

Cadet

It's hard to know weather or not he knew about it, I've been in touch with him since I bought the boat and my neighbor's brother was his supervisor when he worked for the US Forrest Service. <br /><br />Regardless, it's there and I have to contend with it. It appears it's been there for a while, but not really sure.<br /><br />Thanks for all the advice, that seems to be the trend based on other posts from cracked blocks.<br /><br />Hopefully I can get a few years out of it....

ZmOz

Captain

It probably wouldn't cost that much to get it welded up somewhere...

Bondo

Staff member

Welding isn't very Practical......<br />You'd Have to pull the engine.....

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Marine Tex it...... I did mine & lasted for five years & sold it... as far as I know still running, just water jacket & as long as oil is not laced with water deposits you'll be fine....<br /><br /> :cool: