EVR-150 VHF radio

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class
HEy

I am looking to get hook up this marine radio, and it says you can connect it to your GPS.

I have the lowerance elite 5 combo gps/sonar.

Is it possible to connect the two?

And how so?

Thanks,

jhebert

Ensign
Re: EVR-150 VHF radio

Typically you will make a serial data connection between the GPS as a sender and the VHF Marine Band radio as a listener. To do this both devices need to have compatible serial data interfaces. On most recreational marine electronics the common serial data interface is the NMEA-0183 standard. If both devices have NMEA-0183 serial data interfaces, please let us know and we can give you more information.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

jhebert

Ensign

To connect your GPS to the radio, you will make the following connections:

--locate the NMEA-0183 OUTPUT from the GPS
--locate the NMEA-0183 INPUT on the RADIO
--connect the OUTPUT from the GPS to the INPUT on the RADIO

Configure the GPS to send the NMEA-0183 sentence RMC. Also configure the serial data port to 4,800-BPS.

Configure the RADIO serial data port to 4,800-BPS. Study the radio manual to see if the radio provides any visual indicator to the operator when the radio is receiving a proper position fix indication. Often there is an on-screen ICON which appears when the radio has received a position fix from an attached device such as a GPS.

If you need help with the details of the connection wiring, list the following information for each device

DEVICE, WIRE COLOR, CIRCUIT FUNCTION as noted in the device literature

and I will be glad to tell you what wires to connect.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

jhebert,

Thank you SO much.

i'm pretty handy, but this is all new to me.

My boat is still in the driveway winterized... I am plannin on hooking this all up one day next week on a nice sunny day.

I've printed off what you told me...

If I find myself confused on what wires to hook up, I will definatley give you teh colours before I guess at it.

Thank you again!