confused!!!!!!

warmonga

Cadet
Hey guys I am new to boating and I recently purchased a 1996 wellcraft eclipse boat. It is equiped with a Volvo Pinta 3.0 inboard and volvo pinta sx cobra outboard drives .Well I purchased the boat with a locked up motor and was hoping to purchase a new motor and replace it during the winter. The problem is I dont see any 3.0 Volvo Penta motor on ebay. I see the mercruiser 3.0 and I have asked about 6 ppl if The mercruiser is the same motor . 3 of them say yes and the other 3 say no. I am freeking confused man . Can I used a 3.0 mercruiser motor in place of its Volvo pinta without headaches? Is The mercruiser the same motor as the Volvo pinta? I really will appreciate all the helpI can get with this .
Thanks Reggie

Bondo

Staff member
Re: confused!!!!!!

Is The mercruiser the same motor as the Volvo pinta?

Ayuh,... The basic Long Blocks are the Same...

The Complete motors are Not the same...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Said another way -- anything that bolts onto the engine from the Volvo, will bolt onto a 3.0 engine that came from of a Mercruiser. Neither Volvo nor Mercruiser built the basic engine -- General Motors did that part. And you can go to your local Chevy dealer and order the engine through the Marine catalog -- or the engine you have can very likely be rebuilt unless it has been reduced to a pile of rust. I've seen some pretty nasty looking engines brought back to life.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Is The mercruiser the same motor as the Volvo

Howdy,

Essentially, yes. You can get a long block from many places. A couple of years ago, I installed a 3.0L long block from http://www.usengine.us/marine.html

I think they'll ship right to your door. (I think the core charge was $500 or so) If I didn't live in this area though, I might go to another place that is closer so I could save the shipping.

warmonga

Cadet

Said another way -- anything that bolts onto the engine from the Volvo, will bolt onto a 3.0 engine that came from of a Mercruiser. Neither Volvo nor Mercruiser built the basic engine -- General Motors did that part. And you can go to your local Chevy dealer and order the engine through the Marine catalog -- or the engine you have can very likely be rebuilt unless it has been reduced to a pile of rust. I've seen some pretty nasty looking engines brought back to life.

so bascially I shouldnt have any problems with putting a mercruiser into my boat in place of the original volvo pinta right?
Hey guys thanks very much for the help and respeonding to my questions

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

The block only is interchangeable. The exhaust manifolds/linkage/waterpump, power steering and maybe distributor will need to be carried over from the old motor. Be careful before you start ripping! Save everything!

Bondo

Staff member

so bascially I shouldnt have any problems with putting a mercruiser into my boat in place of the original volvo pinta right?

Nope,... Nobody said That...

What was said is,...
If you reduce the Mercruiser motor back to the GM block,...
You can then redress it into the Volvo configuration to fit in your boat....

A running motor freshly yanked from a Mercruiser powered boat will Not bolt back into another boat with a Volvo driveline...

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well there will always be problems that is a given..the other thing is he said anything that bolts on nothing was said about wireing or cables or anything of that sorts....sure it can be done but I dont think its going to be as easy as drop in and tighten things up.....I have never done it but im sure there are ppl out there that have and can help.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you CLICK HERE you will see what a "Long Block" looks like. Although this one does include a distributor, most don't.
Notice all the parts that are missing ???? Those are the parts that are different between a Volvo and a Mercruiser, or an OMC. Those missing parts are also what makes it all work with a particular outdrive.

Things always look easy when you don't know all the details, and in engine changes, details are everything.