fact or fiction

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got back from the boat show, and had a long talk with a certified mercruiser mechanic. I have a 4 year old mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 and wanted to know about routine maint. <br /><br />Bellows: For a trailered boat used in fresh water, they will last between 6 and 10 years. <br /><br />lube splines a couple times a year<br /><br />gimbal bearing every year<br /><br />check engine allignment every two or three years<br /><br />What do you all think? Thanks

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: fact or fiction

Sounds reasonable- especially on the greasing part. I always look at the stuff back there whenever I am servicing anything so I can catch problems before they become a problem. <br /><br /> I know of three people who have more than 7 years on their boats and have never had to replace their bellows yet. I grease in the spring before the first trip out and every 1st of each coming months- then I pull the outdrive when winterizing and store it inside- I hit all the fittings then also. <br /><br /> I check alignment every year when I re-install the outdrive- only takes a minute or two to check it. <br /><br /> Grease is cheap- use it.<br /><br />UFM82

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think (hope) he ment "lube" gimbal bearing yearly..... even though that still doesn't sound like enough to me - bruce

skicat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for the confusion. He said to lube gimbal every year. Exactly how do you lube the gimbal bearing?

Trent

Captain

Grease fitting on the right side of the transom plate. (outside the boat)