Battery Storage

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When I wrapped up my boat for the winter, I took out it's battery (new last spring) and put it down in my basement, where it will be at a pretty steady 60-70? until spring. Is there any reason I shouldn't have done this? Fumes or anything? Also that battery was fully charged when I disconnected it, is that how you want a battery that you are storing?

fish_on_the_deck

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Battery Storage

Yeah, it will be fine there. Fumes are not an issue. Storing the battery charged is fine... just make sure you dont drop anything metal accross the terminals:eek:

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Haha. It's in it's little black plastic container, so it should be golden. I suspect I won't even have to charge it in the spring. It should have tons of juice to start my boat, then I'll just make sure my first boat ride is a long one :D I can't wait, already.

NYBo

Admiral

For longest life, put it on a smart charger about once a month. You want to keep it fully charged.

fishrdan

Admiral

For longest life, put it on a smart charger about once a month. You want to keep it fully charged.

Yup, top it off every month. Your batteries will thank you, your wallet too :D

eavega

Lieutenant

I keep mine on a HF float charger. It cost me $8 there, and as far as I can tell its never damaged or overheated the battery in the 3 yrs I've had it. I have one for my boat battery and one for my motorcycle battery, and its never given me a problem. Mind you, it won't charge the battery if its low, but it will definitely keep it "topped off"

-Rgds

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cold is better for battery stoarge. I leave mine in the garage and put the charger on them for about an hour once a month.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget that very few chargers are temperature-compensated and will NOT properly top off a cold battery below 0C. The colder it is, the higher the charge voltage has to be.

jhebert

Ensign

DianneB--Please give the equation which defines the relationship between the ambient temperature and the proper charging voltage for a lead-acid battery. Thank you.