Cadet
1965 johnnson super seahourse super quite 60 hp outboard
serial # j2600518
model vxl-11a
any one know what this motor might be worth

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1965 johnson super sea-horse is it worth anything

Isn't that the v-4 style motor that drinks gas? I would think it would be worth a couple of hundred, and not much more in running condition. It would probably be a hard sell. Difficult to say without knowing any info at all about its condition.
JBJ

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

This model is comparable to Evinrude's SpeediFour. This is basically the smallest of the V-4 class built in those years. The next one up is the old 75hp (StarFlight) and then the old 90's (Meteors) Now, talk about a drinker of gas, just put ya an ol' Meteor on that boat. They drink more than a wild Irishman in the Pub:D:D

homefry

Cadet

thanks for the gas guzzler info but im aware of that lol:) the motor runs good could use a new gasket for the cover johnnson super sea-hourse super quite 60 hp
serial # j2600518
model# vxl-11a

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

it kind of like anything else to do with boats, it is worth what someone will pay, I am always amazed at how much people ask for boat motors on Craigslist and other venues, it also depends on the time of year, here in Montana, the season is over, some lakes are already getting ice around the edge, I can buy motors for really cheap right now, (could of bought a nice running Merc 100 the other day for less than $200) Now come July, the price goes up considerably..

Also right now, I can buy boats for a dime a dozen, right before Christmas, they will be even cheaper..but again, they are worth what the buyer will pay depending on how much the buyer wants it..

Aratsman

Seaman

I was thinking the same thing. To quote someone else who posted on this forum....

Whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

it kind of like anything else to do with boats, it is worth what someone will pay, I am always amazed at how much people ask for boat motors on Craigslist and other venues, it also depends on the time of year, here in Montana, the season is over, some lakes are already getting ice around the edge, I can buy motors for really cheap right now, (could of bought a nice running Merc 100 the other day for less than $200) Now come July, the price goes up considerably..

Also right now, I can buy boats for a dime a dozen, right before Christmas, they will be even cheaper..but again, they are worth what the buyer will pay depending on how much the buyer wants it..

This is very true in my area also. Boats are cheap now. I picked up a 14' aluminum boat, trailer and '75 Evinrude 9.9 for $460 last week. Normally in prime time it would go for over $1k in my area.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

This is very true in my area also. Boats are cheap now. I picked up a 14' aluminum boat, trailer and '75 Evinrude 9.9 for $460 last week. Normally in prime time it would go for over $1k in my area.

I looked at a 68 tri-hull the other day, 16 footer with a 120 mercruiser in it, the guy was asking $250, the rig was actually in pretty good shape, sound transom, needed upholstery, It is a couple of hundred miles from me, as I was just on the way through the area, I told him, I would give him a call if I wanted it, he just called me back today and told me, he would throw the trailer in and I could have the whole set up for $100 bucks. It does need a small bit of work, but not really much, I heard it run, needs a carb rebuild, nothing major though..

My eyes are twinkling, but my wife's eyes are getting little dark and glassy! But I sill might go over and pick it up this weekend, throw a tarp over it, pick a couple of seats up and sell it in the spring for a bit of profit..

Now the ad says trailer included, he wanted an extra $200 for the trailer the other day..

http://bozeman.craigslist.org/boa/2031203874.html

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And it ran? I'd snap it up for $100. Wow. Whereabouts are you?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

And it ran? I'd snap it up for $100. Wow. Whereabouts are you?

Actually I got confused, the 82 was a different one, I edited my post, with the correct information, but still a great buy and he has the titles for both the trailer and the boat..

Sorry, been looking at to many boats the last few days...going to end up spending all of my mad money if I am not careful!

I am in Montana, close to Glacier/Waterton National Parks...

:eek:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

No kidding, I've spent all my mad money this fall also. Have ended up with with 3 boats and engines and trailers... Will keep one and sell the other 2 in the spring.

lindy46

Captain

Yup - lots of deals out there this time of year. I keep seeing them, but my pole barn is full, so anything I buy would have to sit outside, and my wife doesn't want that:(

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

No kidding. I have em in the driveway and the wife ain't happy. Gotta start moing them to the back 40!