Thermostat removal?

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know wether it is standard practice to remove the thermostat if the motor is run in salt water?

I was talking to a mechanic today and he said it was standard practice to remove the thermostat when they knew the motor was used in salt. His reasoning was that the thermostats can salt up and not open, cooking the engine. He also said that it written in the manuals to do this.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Thermostat removal?

Sounds like good advice to me.. Salt is corrosive, it can gunk up the stat and cause it not to operate..

Do you flush the motor out with fresh water after the salt use? If so, the need will be less.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes everyonce in a while remove the thermostats and clean them.Also the bolts will sieze if left in long enough.J

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.

By removing the thermostat he meant taking it out altogether. Running the motor without one.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Hard to say what he meant by his statement. I do know that you can run it without a thermostat, however, the motor will not be operating at the temperature that it was designed to run at. Probably result in lower efficiency, power etc.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No owner's manual for an outboard that I have ever read has suggested removing and running without a thermostat. I can see a mechanic suggesting it because he probably only sees one corroded thermostat from a saltwater outboard after another. I think it's a good idea to cycle those bolts once in a while, applying anti-seize any time you do and replacing the thermostat when it looks appropriate. I do not prescribe to running without one as you will be operating the engine at temps all over the map. It was designed to run most effificently at a certain range of temperatures to provide best fuel economy, best power and longest life. I'd use a thermostat.