Any decent aftermarket FWC kits that doesn't cost a right arm?

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased a used Marine Power FWC kit and it turns out that it's too long to fit my engine since I have the power steering pump mounted higher than the older engines so the heat exchanger won't mount correctly. My mechanic told me to get a Mercruiser p/n 860427A5 which is like 1200 bucks. There are lots of FWC kits on ebay for 200-400 which I think is more reasonable (affordable) :)

Would like to buy one ASAP while my boat is still in the shop.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Any decent aftermarket FWC kits that doesn't cost a right arm?

For a 1995? How old is the motor? The aftermarket manufacturers recommend against doing this on an engine that has more than 100 hours on it, particularly if it's been used in salt.

Corrosion and 'junk' already in the water passages is going to keep clogging the system. Unless you're having a new motor put in at the shop, FWC isn't the advantage it appears to be.

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no I got another motor been through the used/old motor with high hours + FWC already. :)

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:
As far as I can see ALL decent aftermarket kits cost an arm and a leg if you buy them new! They tend to be cheaper if you buy them used.
kilowatts

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just told that the heat exchanger doesn't have to be bolted on the engine. Can't I just fit it on the deck?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

My (never salted) engine is a 1997 model and had 122 hours on it when I installed the San Juan Engr full system.

Before I did however, I completely flushed the block with all the core plugs removed. In 3 years, I have no problems at all with it. I would do it again. I paid about $700 for the whole system from http://www.oceaneastmarine.com/

You can mount the heat exchanger anywhere you like.

Cheers,

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

My (never salted) engine is a 1997 model and had 122 hours on it when I installed the San Juan Engr full system.

Before I did however, I completely flushed the block with all the core plugs removed. In 3 years, I have no problems at all with it.....I also filled it with 50:50 Dexcool ....... I would do it again. I paid about $700 for the whole system from http://www.oceaneastmarine.com/

You can mount the heat exchanger anywhere you like.

Cheers,

Rick