Spark Plug Wires

Outboards aren't supposed to use resistor plug wires are they?

(Specific engine I'm troubleshooting is '90 Johnson 200)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark Plug Wires

Should be a solid core wire. We use ones with ss ends.

That's what I thought. I've spent 3 days trying to figure out why my ignition was acting flaky when cranking the engine (trying to time it using the method in the top secret files). Finally I thought to check the plug wires and sure enough someone had used resistor wires.

JGeiman2

Seaman Apprentice

So that means they shouldn't use resistor type plugs then too, correct?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

My understanding is that the resistor type wires do not withstand the vibration. Right or wrong I dont know.

Resistor plugs is another topic.

Suppressed plugs may be needed to suppress radio interference
The old method of suppressing interference was to incorporate a resistance in the plug.

These are fine with points ignition.

However OMC CD ignition systems do not work well with resistor plugs ( see http://members.iinet.net.au/~pauldawson/iame26-spark-plugs.PDF ) so if suppressed plugs are required to prevent RFI they must be inductive ( low resistance) types ... the Champion "Q" or NGK "Z" series.

I guess The CD ignition will not like resistor leads either!

VRO & OMS systems require suppressed plugs to be used and since motors with VRO or OMS will in fact have CD ignition it follows that "Q" (or "Z") plugs must be used.

Interesting to note that other brands of outboard motors do in fact use resistor plugs. Something quirky about the OMC CD system presumably!

I wouldn't say that. I checked some old plugs that were sitting on my desk at home last night, QL77JC4 as I recall (and they were OMC recommended plugs) and they show a resistance of 125 Ohms. Realize though, that's a big difference from the 900 Ohms that I measured on the plug wires someone had put in my engine.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say that. I checked some old plugs that were sitting on my desk at home last night, QL77JC4 as I recall (and they were OMC recommended plugs) and they show a resistance of 125 Ohms. Realize though, that's a big difference from the 900 Ohms that I measured on the plug wires someone had put in my engine.

QL77JC4 are low resistance, inductively suppressed plugs .. The type used with OMC CDI systems.

Ordinary resistor plugs have a resistance around 5 kΩ.

JGeiman2

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 73 johnson 25 horse. I can't recall the plug in it now. Just to see if it's the correct one, what plug does the man. recommend?

I'm almost positive there is a Q on the plug.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I have a 73 johnson 25 horse. I can't recall the plug in it now. Just to see if it's the correct one, what plug does the man. recommend?

I'm almost positive there is a Q on the plug.

J4C is the currently recommended plug, gapped at 0.030"