Boat so "nasty" I refused to work on it.

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
We had our first hard frost a couple days ago and I've been buried in winterizing boats for people. (A good thing for the check book.) One of them is a three year old Bayliner with a 4.3 V6 the guy bought new.

My helper/mechanic pulled it in to the shop so we could get to work on it and it STUNK to high heaven. Got in the boat and there was left over food droppings everywhere, mouse droppings, the bilge had oil everywhere and I suspect the owner changed the oil by draining the engine into the bilge and never really cleaning it. A used condom on the floor by the engine cover and the entire boat smelled horrible of wet mildew. Even seen a bathing suit in the bilge just in front of the engine. Opened a couple of the seat/coolers to find food that must have been 6 months old. (moldy hot dogs)

I called the guy last night and told him to come get his boat and clean it out if he wants me to work on it and we sat it back outside for him to pick it up.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Boat so "nasty" I refused to work on it.

Sounds like he knew what he was doing when he "summerized" it. :eek: :D

I don't blame you a bit, thats disgusting.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would have been ashamed to bring a boat in like that. Maybe he was hoping you would clean it up for him.
Bubba- how is the health? Hope you are feeling better.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah, that does sound nasty.

Should have told him your shop isn't certified as a Level 4 biohazard containment facility... :D

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

At least you know he's having fun in it:p

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Opened a couple of the seat/coolers to find food that must have been 6 months old. (moldy hot dogs)

Hot dogs won't mold for the first year, maybe longer.

sad

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I would have done the same thing. Disgusting. Shows disrespect to you and himself.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Working for the phone company we can refuse to go in houses like that because it is a health hazard especially when it is animal feces and the like.

I know what its like. Disgusting.

You need to do like Troy Lantree on swamp people does. He gets a bottle of bleach pours it into the boat and cleans up all "dat rotton water and dead alegator stink" Hes the man

Attachments

• troy-landry-swamp-people.jpg
    troy-landry-swamp-people.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0

DayCruiser

Ensign

He could be a Hoarder like the ones on that TV show. Imagine what his home looks like. I know a Hoarder and you need a gas mask to go into his home

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would think he would notice the smell but who knows. I used to wrench on motorcycles at a Harley dealership in central michigan. People would bring in discusting piles just for an oil change because a good washing was included in the 49.99 oil change. Maybe he thought it would get cleaned out as a part of the winterization. Can say though, I've never had to work around a used rubber. (smiley for blowing chuncks)

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Good for you.

Back in my auto repair days we had a few cars come in like that.
Ever seen a car infested with cockroaches? Being cars we could
just keep the windows rolled up. Test drives were another matter
though. :eek:

Fly Rod

Commander

Did not realize that pigs are allowed to operate boats, OINK! :)

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yuk! :eek:

We had a policy in my repair shop that all vehicles have a seat/steering and floor cover to protect the owners car interior, but sometimes I realized the covers were to protect the mechanics!

Vans are the worst. Forgotten lunch bags rotting under seats, everything covered in pet fur, floor used as ashtray, spilled drinks, carpets soaked with god knows what, old shoes, bundles of newspapers, coffe cups half full.

Worst we had was 20 pounds of wet dog kibble in a trunk in the summer jumping with maggots. :(

Had to have cars detailed before a mechanic would work on it.
Always made me wonder what the customers house looked like.

And yes, we refused to work on a few.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Back in the day when we had cellular phones in our cars I had a guy bring in his red Lincoln Town car, I had to get into the trunk and I put my hand down on the carpet and it was soaked so I figured I had an hour in this car so I would take the carpet out completely and put it into the sun to dry out. Well it took two of us to take the carpet out it was so heavy and we just dropped it on the concrete, when the carpet hit the concrete the Bright RED fluid splashed out of the carpet and me and my coworker looked at each other like WTF? so we go back to the lincoln, it was blood. Coincidentally we do a huge amount of police work and there was a local officer there so we asked him discreetly to come back to the install bay, and he's like HOLY!

It turns out this guy just bought half a beef and his wifes suburban is in the shop, he didn't realize how much blood came out of the meat. We were pretty freaked out for a bit!

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I bet the vehicle that the guy uses to tow his boat with is just as nice. As is his house, and probably a lot of other things.

The filthy boat isn't the disease - it's just a symptom.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Speaking of pet feces on the floor I can relate to people I know that used to be like that. They have a miniature doberman that does her business in the house a lot. Truth be told she gives plenty of warning but they only let her out when THEY feel like it. They even have a baby that's all over the place. When she was an infant I'm sure she got her share of feces in her mouth and on her. The mother is a big slob too. Her car is what I call a biohazard. I know kids can make keeping something clean a challange but surely it isn't THAT hard to clean your vehicle out while waiting for the gas pump to click off when the tank it full. I do it all the time and my truck is strikingly clutter free and never gets anything spilled in it. My fishing buddy leaves his dip cups laying around everywhere. I always make it a point to tell him it's discusting. He knows I'm ocd about being sanitary. Then there's my dads truck. It's an extended cab Silverado and only room for the driver. Not to sound snooty but I could get SIX people in my truck and only have to move the the bag I keep my rope and bungee cords in that's behind the passenger seat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Like '96 said above, it really is easy to keep a clean vehicle......just don't keep sh!t in there!!! I often get compliments on how clean my car is and I don't even "clean" it that often. I just don't let stuff lay in it! And, believe it or not we even have a young child and yet....no crap in the car!! Some of these mom-mobile minivans you see driving around should be declared bio-hazards.

I love watching that show Hoarders (and the ****-poor TLC knockoff Hoarding: Buried Alive) but every time I finish an episode I feel the need to go clean something.