Utility to Runabout?

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 69 Super Star and was looking at the old Ski Champ in the brochures.
It looks like I could turn my boat into a little runabout fairly easy.

Is this a crazy idea?
Has anybody done it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Utility to Runabout?

Wow I haven't heard of anyone adding a closed bow......

Lots of people have added steering consoles. Should be pretty easy to fab up.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I am not aware of any projects adding the bow deck, plenty removing. I like the idea, it would be a truly unique rig when you're done.

Post some photos of the Super Star so we can see what you are working with, sounds like a fun project to me.:)

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

(Before the new benches)
scf0233.jpg

scf0342.jpg

scf0343.jpg

scf0344.jpg

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like the boat for fishing but my growing family isn't to exited to go for a ride.
A cute little retro runabout with cushy seats would go over much better.

If possible i would make the seats come out so me and my buddy could go fishing on the benches and it would plain out nicer anyway with me in the front.

Maybe I should have made a poll. Crazy or not.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't do it. That's a particularly nice, deep fishing rig. Converting it to a runabout would only reduce its capabilities and closed bow runabouts are a dime a dozen. It should be easy to find one of the style you're looking for. Lots of Jupiters show up on CL all the time and would be a great family run-around boat. Here's what mine looked like:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/DSCF0170.jpg

I got that hull for a couple hundred. Had 5 adults in it one time. Seriously, I'd be all for the project (I mean who doesn't love a good project?) if you weren't looking to turn that hull into one that's so readily available cheaply.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I would totally agree with EZ there. Keep that a fishing rig and buy yourself an inexpensive closed bow to rebuild. You'd save time, money, frustration and have another boat in the process, sweet!:D

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I'll start watching Craig's list for good deals. Maybe I can sell/swap my old garden tractor for a boat.