5.7 liter engine removal

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, im in the process of removing my engine, and i need to know how do i remove the y-pipe? Is it connected to the bellhousing? My manual only covers the 4 cyl engine. Does the y-pipe even have to be removed or can it come out with the engine? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 liter engine removal

What are we working on? They aren't all the same ya know.

Details help.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The 1s I work on the y-pipe stays in the boat til the motor is Out....
That's about the Only way to reach the bolts...

cr2k

Captain

Pull the outdrive. Pulling the elbows and manifolds make it easier. It's connected to the rubber coupler hoses.

captmello

Captain

No, you do not have to remove the y pipe to remove the engine. The Y pipe for your 280 mounts to the transom shield and does not need to be removed. Disconnect at the riser to y pipe connection like cr2k said.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pull the outdrive. Pulling the elbows and manifolds make it easier. It's connected to the rubber coupler hoses.

I just noticed that you said to pull the outdrive. Do i have to pull the complete outdrive off, as i have the upper removed all ready. Also, do i have to remove the tilt from inside the drive or can i just disconnect it.Im doing this to change the bearrings. Once removed what else should i look for and how to check for wear? The engine is new.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What are we working on? They aren't all the same ya know.

Details help.

Thought you would remember me Don as much as you have helped me, but i know it helps everyone. Its a 1988 baretta 350 with a volvo penta 280 drive. Thanks

captmello

Captain

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you only need to pull the upper gear box. No you shouldn't have to move the tilt mechanism either.

Once you get the electrical and fuel disconnected, and maybe power steering, you'll be ready to remove the six bolts #41, holding the clamp ring #39, shown in the link.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Connecting-Components-Aq-Drive-280/dm/*******.005434935--**********.152780143--store_id.366--view_id.325226

Thanks. The lower water intake hose would need to be removed also right? The one going to the lower unit.

captmello

Captain

Unless the hose is in your way, you should only have to disconnect it from the raw water pump.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will I need a new rubber ring #40 after removal of the clamp? Getting ready to order parts and need to know.

Don S

Will I need a new rubber ring #40 after removal of the clamp? Getting ready to order parts and need to know.

They (there are 2 of them) are supposed to have a round cross section. If they really flat on 2 sides and around 1/2 to 5/8" thick, then yeah, they should be replaced. If they keep a mostly round cross section after being removed for a while, they should be fine.
If they leak, water get's into the boat. and it takes another engine pull to replace them.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They (there are 2 of them) are supposed to have a round cross section. If they really flat on 2 sides and around 1/2 to 5/8" thick, then yeah, they should be replaced. If they keep a mostly round cross section after being removed for a while, they should be fine.
If they leak, water get's into the boat. and it takes another engine pull to replace them.

Thanks. Maybe they will be ok without me ordering new ones since the engine is new and the boat has not had much run time after the install.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can i reuse the gasket between the risers after i remove them. Tried removing the rubber boots again with no luck.

Don S

Can i reuse the gasket between the risers after i remove them. Tried removing the rubber boots again with no luck.

If you are referring to the gaskets between the risers and the exhaust manifolds, NO, they (nor any gasket for that matter) are not reusable.

ginyu6869

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are referring to the gaskets between the risers and the exhaust manifolds, NO, they (nor any gasket for that matter) are not reusable.

hello, the engine has been pulled. The seal where the clamp rings go, does it need to be replaced? I have heard of people prefilling the bearrings, how much grease do i prefill with and how do i go about prefilling the bearrings. And what type of grease by name is recommended. Thanks