Intermittent spark, Stator or timer base??

mbecke2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1988 johnson 140 vro
Last time I took it out it ran perfect for 10 seconds WOT then died and I got no spark. Took it home and tested it and noticed spark was coming and going on all 4 cylinders. Ruled out ignition switch, ppack, ignition coils, plugs, wires. Finally this weekend I popped fly wheel and inspected stator and timer base. Stator has a chip on the top edge and you can see a white discolored spot in the flywheel (picture). Timer base looks ok. I ohm tested stator and I got 95 between orange wires and 480 between brown (amphenol plug). Couldnt get good reading on timer base. Anyway I order a new stator its on the way, but now Im afraid it may be timer base. The intermittent spark happens on all 4 cylinders when cranking. At this point, It can only be stator or timer base but I guess Im pissing in the wind hoping its the damn stator. Can this little nick on the stator be the problem??

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Intermittent spark, Stator or timer base??

That doesn't look like a "little nick" to me. Can you tell what might have caused that, and, shouldn't those magnetic faces be shiny? I'm just guessing here, but, I think you have found the problem.

petryshyn

Commander

It is wise to do a thorough ohm-meter and DVA test on stators and timer bases. Be sure to wiggle the wiring harnesses while observing resistance readings.

The "shot gun" "replace all" approach gets pricey......

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The best way to check any electrical component is with a DVA meter. Any question, then use an ohmmeter. DVA's give the output of the component.

petryshyn

Commander

The best way to check any electrical component is with a DVA meter.

Not necessarily.... The DVA will not always show up a intermittent problem since its internal structure stores peak readings. A missing pulse from a poor connection can often go undetected. A resistance test while wiggling wires is very effective for this type of failure.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Didn't I just say any question in the output readings then do an ohmmeter test. If you look at the OEM manual those are the procedures they follow.