Oak Hardwood Plywood for Stringers?

swire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm working on a project replacing my floor and stringers. I know external plywood is the recommended option but the stuff I saw at Lowes was BC, had only 4 plys, and large voids everywhere. However, they had oak hardwood plywood. It looks like it had about 10 plys of oak, was sanded smooth, and any voids were very small. It seems like the better choice but the sign says for interior applications only. Does that mean the glue holding it together won't hold up to water? If the stringers are coated in poly and encased in fiberglass is that still an issue?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oak Hardwood Plywood for Stringers?

If you don't like the BC ask them if they can order some 3/4 inch MDO plywood for you. It is more expensive but NOT as much as marine grade, Has very little voids, multiple plys, uses the SAME glue as Marein grade and is rated for marine use. Really good stuff. Check it out.

http://www.socomi.com/img/PDFs/PlywoodGuide.pdf

Or you could use Douglass Fir 2x6's Douglass fir has good water resistance qualities and when encapsulated in resin and glass will outlast you and the boat. Make sure you sort thru the material and get good straight stock and as free of knots as possible.

I'm just sayin...:D

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oak Hardwood Plywood for Stringers?

Ayuh,... Oak just plain Rots,... Rather Quickly...

Oak used in boat/ ship building is White Oak, 'n it's Boiled before it's used....