Boat Foam and Fiber cloth recommendations

I'm working on restoring an old fiberglass paddle boat that measures 10'x5' and have already pulled out all the old boat foam. I'm wondering if I should replace it with the 2# or the 4# and where the cheapest place to get it would be. So far I have found 2# for $72 gallon kit and 4# for $86 gallon kit. Also trying to find a good source of cloth and epoxy resin so that I can patch a few holes in the pontoons as well as add some more strength to them and make a few cosmetic repairs. Do I have to use fiberglass cloth or can I use something else? This is my first fiberglass project but I am pretty handy with things. I'm a knife maker so I have a lot of experience with mixing chemicals like epoxy and also I'm good with my hands. Thanks for any and all help.

Re: Boat Foam and Fiber cloth recommendations

Figured yall might like to see pics of what I'm working on. The boat was free which is why I'm working on it and also cause its a fiberglass paddle boat which you can't find these days.:D The pontoons are really showing their age with all the weak spots and the few holes that have emerged.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01913.jpg
    DSC01913.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01914.jpg
    DSC01914.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01915.jpg
    DSC01915.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats! I'm sure that in Corpus Christi there are plenty of Marinas that could give you sources for resin an cloth suppliers. If not www.uscomposites.com is a good online source. Make sure you sand her down to good clean glass, wash her clean with acetone, coat the clean glass with resin BEFORE laying the cloth and then again after laying the cloth. If you can get to the holes from the inside you should sand a feather the holes and lay 2 or 3 layers of matt inside and then do the same on the outside. Use UN-waxed resin until the final coat. Use a respirator and goggles, gloves, talcum powder and tyvek suit to keep down the itchin.

Good Luck

I'm just sayin...:D

So I shouldn't worry about using cloth on the inside to add extra strength but instead just fix the holes with mat? Thanks for the advice. I look forward to displaying my hard work when its done. I do plan to use porch paint on the bottom side, was told by a cousin of mine that many have had good luck with that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you can get to the inside then, I would patch the holes as described. I would then lay a layer of 6 oz glass on the entire inside and saturate with resin just to MAKE sure any other PIN holes get sealed. I would sand the outside and patch any gouges using the same method I described. I would HIGHLY recommend painting her with Rustoleum's Professional Oil based paint. Make sure to Wash her down extremely well with Acetone, Prime her with Rustoleum's primer and then give her 2-3 coats of final paint. She will look like a new one and the paint will last a long time. You can roll this paint with a foam roller and it will look like you professionaly
Spray painted it.

I'm just sayin...:D

The 2nd and 3rd pic I posted are from the inside of the pontoons. Its going to be so gratifying to finish her up and get her out on the water and take her up to the hunting spots and fishing spots. To help keep a charge in the trolling motor battery I'm going to mount a 12volt solar panel used for game feeders. Thinking about cutting out the hump and just putting plywood down and then fiberglass it top and bottom. Need to double check my measurements but I think it will be doable and provide more area for stuff.