Early Senility

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
After reading recommendations on this board I decided to buy new lower unit drain and fill plugs for my boat (had it baout a year now). I studiously bought these last winter figuring i'd install them at the next winterization. Yesterday decided to winterize and replace the plugs, although now I can't seem to find where I put them. :(:redface: I think I'm in trouble when I get older as this seems to be happening more and more lately.

Anyone else buy stuff and then lose it just as quickly?

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Early Senility

After reading recommendations on this board I decided to buy new lower unit drain and fill plugs for my boat (had it baout a year now). I studiously bought these last winter figuring i'd install them at the next winterization. Yesterday decided to winterize and replace the plugs, although now I can't seem to find where I put them. :(:redface: I think I'm in trouble when I get older as this seems to be happening more and more lately.

Anyone else buy stuff and then lose it just as quickly?

Absolutely! Then I find it when I'm not doing that chore, swear I will remember where it is.. then, can't remember again when needed.

I'm thinking a very long wall cabinet where everything is visible; not boxes and bags upon more and more where everything begins to look the same.

I started to store things in goups now (i.e., boat stuff over there). I didn't remember where until last week when looking for the can of Fogger for the ski. Opened the storage and said, "oh yeah, the boat stuff is in here. Now where did I put the ski stuff?"

Just smile and enjoy it while you still remember what it is you're forgetting :D

:cool:

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I need to get organized better. We just moved so they can be anywhere. I like the idea of a designated boat-only box. One way I know I can find it for sure is to buy another set, and I'll find it as soon as the new ones arrive...:mad:

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

The way to find the plugs you are looking for is to go buy yet another set. Then when you open the glove box to throw the 2nd replacement, the 1st set will be staring you in the face:p:eek::D

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is Murphy's law, not senility. If you just moved then you may not find them for a few years. And if you do get a boat box together then label it on the outside with a marker "boat stuff"

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Well I just put the old ones back in for now. The plugs are good, just the o-rings need changin'. I gotta get it to storage sometime here quick so I don't lose my place. I figure they'll turn up this winter somewhere. Otherwise I'll grab some new ones from iboats, which is where I got the others I believe....

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone in our household has an advanced stage of senility. All the way from my 17 yr old daughter to mom and dad here. There are untold numbers of: Boxes of screws. Bottles of glue. Pens. Pencils. Books. Papers. Small tools. and hundreds of other items. I hope I'm correct in remembering that we only have 3 kids and 2 are grown, they are all that is accounted for. LOL.:D
Everything gets "put up" with the greatest of care so we will know exactly where to find it when we need it. It is then promptly sucked into a void where it is never seen again. I know it is drawn into this void because if it was ALL in the house there wouldn't be room for us to live in it. LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as you KNOW you bought the first set, you don't have to worry about being senile. It's when you KNOW you didn't and buy a set, only to find the first set that you need to start worrying. The worst part is when whatever you bought parts for gives up the ghost before you use up all the extra sets you bought and put in a "safe place". Don't ask me how that feels... :redface:

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You already installed them.... don't you remember? You even posted about it on this forum. That's why you can't find them. :D

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fear not...

You WILL find them... They will be in the last place you look...:redface:

Nuboat... :)

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aren't they always in the last place you look? I mean, why keep looking once you found 'em?? :p

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do that all the time. I buy stuff for the boat through the winter and put it away where I put all the boat stuff.

The hardest part of that is in the spring, remembering where I put the boat!!!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

see this is the difference between men and women, were all here laughing at ourselves and our common faults. Women would be blaming us! Who brought the beer?

dozerII

Admiral

You know it's true senility when you go looking for them with the screw driver in hand you used to take the old ones out, and during your search you lay it down and now you don't have the plugs and you can't find the screw driver to put the old ones back in????? lol bin there done that

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I've walked around looking for the screwdriver which is in my back pocket.:redface:

bassman284

Commander

I've got something in my garage that I can never find when I need it but keep finding when I don't need it. Can't remember what it is right now.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Its called CRS- Cant remember ****. Been a canadate for years now.... I err.. what were we talking about?

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know it's true senility when you go looking for them with the screw driver in hand you used to take the old ones out, and during your search you lay it down and now you don't have the plugs and you can't find the screw driver to put the old ones back in????? lol bin there done that

I have a new micro sd card and adapter on the way because I know that's the only way I'll be able to find the adapter I lost:redface:

New one came in, was the wrong one for the phone but put it away knowing I'd need it at some point, and found the one I lost. Yup, plan to find the one I lost worked PERFECTLY:p

Jeep Man

Commander

Your fine. Senility is when your walking out to your boat, stop, and think....Am I going TO the boat, or coming FROM the boat.

dwco5051

Commander

While looking for some part I never did locate a couple of days ago I did discover three pint containers of two cycle oil. They were packaged in the round cardboard containers with metal ends that had to be opened with a beer can opener. How long since it was sold that way? Probably bought when Nixon was still president:)