Volvo Penta engine change

peteflint

Recruit
I am looking at changing my 5.7l V8 engine. There is about a foot gap to the front of the engine, can it be removed without taking the leg off?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Volvo Penta engine change

Year, model, and serial # would help, but if it's an SX series yes it can be done, but why fight it when the drive comes off so easy?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1) You want to take of your drive annually anyway to check u-joints and gimbal bearing.

2) If you are reinstalling a new engine you have to check alignment so the drive has to be off for that.

peteflint

Recruit

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I thought it might be a lot easier just to take the engine out and replace it with the leg on but it seems that I will have to remove the leg now, more work than expected so not sure I will be able to do it myself and the engineers in the location charge a fortune and take twice as long to do a job to hike the price up. Thanks again. Pete

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Taking the drive off is an easier task than taking the engine out. Just for clarification sake, what Volvo drive do you have?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depending on the type drive, you may only have to remove part of it. That is why people keep asking what kind of drive.

peteflint

Recruit

Not 100% sure but think they are 290 leg with duo props if that helps. It is on a 1990 Beneteau Flyer 35ft Sports cruiser. The engine number is 4100108380 AQ271C. Thanks Pete

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You do not have to remove the complete outdrive on that style outdrive. Only the upper gear box. Here is a drawing I made to show how to remove the upper.

attachment.php

Once you have the upper gear box removed, you have 6 bolts that hold the clamp ring on (They have locking tabs that have to be straightened out).
Once those six bolts are removed, you can pull the engine and flywheel cover out as a single unit.

attachment.php

PS: You do not have a gimbal bearing, nor do you check alignment on your setup.

Attachments

• Transom shield.jpg
    Transom shield.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Top Box removal.jpg
    Top Box removal.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

peteflint

Recruit

Thank you for that, it looks a lot better than I thought. Pete