73 johnson runs only with choke closed

boatman35

Recruit
Hi guys,

I have a 73 johnson 115HP, that will not start unless I manually close the flap (chocke on), through the lever located on the ride side of the carb. it will start then but it would idle very rough and it would shut off as soon as I put it in gear. As soon as I manually open the flap through the same lever the boat would idle beter for 3-6 sec and then it would shut off, and then will not start again for a while. I really do not know now what position should this lever be, shoud it be located all the way down, up, or in the middle? this boat has electric chock but it would open and close really quick when I push the key is as I am starting, and then goes back on open position. The carb has been cleaned, has new fuel pump, and fuel tank. I drove it afterward and it ran really good at a high speed, untill the fuel hose came off of the motor while I am sitting in it, since then it would not start right.

Note: The boat runs great on muffs with the flaps closed, I can also put it into gear with no problems. It only acts that way when I tak it to the lake. Help please. Thanks