SX-M Outdrive ?

Hello Everyone , I'm new to the forum . I have a 1999 Horizon 190 with 267hrs on the clock , the boat has been in brakish water for the past 4yrs and recently pull it out of the water for inspection because I was having some issues with the trim & water slowly sipping in. turned to find out I had seized ram cylinder very corroded outdrive unit as I was moving the
boat form one marina to the other closer to the house to load it up on the trailer the engine shutdown like it hydrolocked, pull it with another boat to the boat ramp when I got it home I pulled all the plugs out and were cleaned no sign of water in the cylinders as I inspect the outdrive unit the shaft bellow had a sliced on it and water was getting in and appearently the gimbal bearing is seized along with the shaft because I can't pull the unit apart. Here is my question I found a boat with a bad Engine 3.0l at a really reasonable price but it has a 1.97 ratio and mine is a 1.60 with a 5.0L V8 could I be able to use this ratio on with my engine with prop change or Could I change the internals out of mine into the 1.97 housing? every suggestion and input to this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Gilbert

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SX-M Outdrive ?

The gear ratio for a 3.0L is to far off for changing props. Get the right ratio.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SX-M Outdrive ?

If you have the special tools and the proper special tools and manuals for reshimming you can.