Evinrude 1989 88HP Overheating Alarm

mpete12

Recruit
I currently have a 1989 88HP Evinrude on a 17ft Sea Lion bay boat. My problem is that I cannot run my engine over 4500rpm without the overheating alarm going off. I have checked the pisser and there is always a good constant flow coming out at all speeds. My question is could this simply be the result of a bad thermometer? Is there anything else that could cause this?:confused:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude 1989 88HP Overheating Alarm

A bad thermostat can give you trouble like you mention, but my money is on your impeller. It's showing signs of wear. (They're not expensive and you can do the work yourself.)

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the same motor a few years older. It did the same thing this summer and I changed the pump assembly, problem solved. I probably could have just changed the impellor, but I got the pump assy at the right price so I changed it all.

I looked at pulling the stats to check them, but the impeller looked like an easier job so I did that first and the OH alarms quit.

Fed

Commander

If it only happens at 4500 and above, and you have good water flow from your pisser then I think your problem is water deflectors.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Fed's right. When on plane, the pressure relief valves should open and flood the powerhead with cooling water. If it overheating as you say, I'd pull the heads. Not only check those diverters, but pull the cyl head covers off the heads and see if the head internals are blocked/restricted at all.