need help for battery charging

waverly23

Cadet
I'm new to owning a "real" boat (you know with battery and all) and this is my first post, so my question is probably dumb. I just bought a 70 Hp Johnson 2 stroke on a 1996 Lund Tyee with alternator connected to its starter battery. I want to add an onboard charger so I can make sure is fully charged before my next days fishing. When I plug in my onboard charger at home....do I need to disconnect my starter battery from the motor and alternator first? or can I just keep everything connected.
Even though this is my first post. You guys have really been helpful since my membership in learning how things are done and how helpful boaters are. Thank you:rolleyes:

sasto

Captain
Re: need help for battery charging

Good day....Waverly. Not a problem with me hooking up a charger without removing any wires. Later, Gone fishin'.

Skiwi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: need help for battery charging

I have a similar set-up and have never disconnected anything while charging off mains ( I use a fully automatic 6amp charger)
In addition I leave a solar charger hooked up when the boat is not in use, again with all wiring intact.