carburetor issues?

jakestevens

Seaman
Wise folks of the forum,

I have a 1999 Mercruiser 3.0L. I have good spark at the plugs, 180 p.s.i. on every cylinder, new fuel filter @ the fuel pump and the fuel line inlet @ the carb.
The carb. is the 2 barrel (80750). The engine cranks but doesn't fire. I pour gas into the carb. and it fires for a moment then dies. I removed the pump rod from the accelerator pump lever and rotated the pump lever by hand so I could see if the fuel was entering the carb. and it was. I loosened the fuel line nut @ the carb. and fuel spuirted as if under pressure, which tells me that the fuel pump is doing it's job. Am I missing something?

Thanks for all the info I've received thus far on this forum on all of my boat repairs.

gk

chiefalen

Captain
Re: carburetor issues?

Your probably getting the 4-6 pounds the fuel pump is supposed to give.

Me thinks you need a carb cleaning.

jakestevens

Seaman

Should I take the carb. apart to clean it?
What parts do I need to buy? gaskets?
Should I soak it in acetone?

thanks

chiefalen

Captain

Ok take it apart, soak it overnight in acetone. Blow it dry with compressed air.

In the sunlight check every freekin hole. I usually use a can of carb cleaner and blow all the holes again. Use the straw.

Blow it dry again.

This site probably has a kit for you. Replace the accelareter pump. I spell like ch-t.

Ball bearing replace it. You will get a new needle i believe.

Ok gently with the adjustment screw in all the way gently don't bend it. Out about 2 turns to start.

Stick it back on and adjust it finally when the motor is running.

good luck

jakestevens

Seaman

thanks a bunch for the info.

I found the kit (3302-804844) online @ Red Rhino marine parts for 34.93.

thanks again.

jakestevens

Seaman

Wanted to say that the carb. rebuild was the ticket for now. After I installed the rebuilt carb. the engine fired almost immediately. I'm taking the boat to the water today to do the final adjustments. Thanks for the info

js

jakestevens

Seaman

I put the boat on the water today and attempted the final adjustments. I was trying to use the on-board tachometer, but wasn't happy with the results.
I think I need to get another tachometer to connect to the system. Where should I get this particular tach? part #?
I made the adjustments that it stated in the mercarb manual, but my on-board tachometer doesn't give me consistent info. So, right now the RPM is really low in forward gear, idle position, and when I pull it back to neutral the RPM stays really low.
The hole shot was sluggish, but it didn't miss any. I did a plug test(W.O.T. then turn the engine off) The plugs weren't white and they weren't black, they looked normal to me.
When I get another tachometer, I'm going to check the timing just to rule it out then continue the final adjustments.