Replacing "old school " steering cable...

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys,

I have a 1964 16' Starcraft Jupiter that I am trying to replace the steering cable on. All of the threads that I have found are talking about a Rack style of steering with one cable running down the Starboard side.

Is there a thread or link that will show me how to re-run the cable threw the drum/helm on these " Old School " set ups ? ( the ones that use a coated cable ran threw pulleys to the outboard )

Many Thanks,

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Replacing "old school " steering cable...

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU NOT REPLACE WITH MODERN STEERING???? There is a Helm mount that allows you to do this. then if you upgrade your motor some day it will be all set up. Safety - Safety - Safety.

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

With this economy, it is a matter of cost.

The price of a used rack system for my boat is going for $100. ( in my area ) and then I do not really know what I have. I could spend the $100 bucks and get something that is not in that great of condition.

40 ' of new 3/32 cable is $10. and I know it's new, and for under $20 bucks I can get new cable, S-hooks, cable clamps and springs. and have more " piece of mind " then I would get with a used rack.

It is also my belief that part of the beauty of these old boats is their old design.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

With this economy, it is a matter of cost.

The price of a used rack system for my boat is going for $100. ( in my area ) and then I do not really know what I have. I could spend the $100 bucks and get something that is not in that great of condition.

40 ' of new 3/32 cable is $10. and I know it's new, and for under $20 bucks I can get new cable, S-hooks, cable clamps and springs. and have more " piece of mind " then I would get with a used rack.

It is also my belief that part of the beauty of these old boats is their old design.
Good enough. If you ever do change to modern steering I would suggest a rotary type, it take up less room . Safe boating.

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help guys, I just got the project done and found it to be pretty straight forward.

Here are some pictures...

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 10

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

And some more...

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 7
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 8

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good :D

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

N, good job on finishing that up and staying with the cable and sheave arrangement. many large comml boats use these, and they work fine. people just don't want to have to messs with the details on those, as a modern steering is far easier to install and adjust.

Jet A-1

Recruit

I'm about to undertake a mid-life refit of my Starcraft Kingfisher and I was also considering keeping the original drum steering setup. My system was seized and otherwise unusable so I decided to price up what I'd need to make a complete new one. It turns out that by the time I bought bearings, collars, pulleys, etc., etc. - enough supplies to put together something sturdy and reliable (I already had a section of 1" s/s shaft with keyways already cut) it would have chewed up $100 easily. IMO its cheaper to go with a teleflex system. Ebay has all sorts of them on there. They are way ahead of the good old pulley system and it pains me to say that. I am a big fan of the original steering system and even priced up a replacement as well. Glen-L or one of those hydroplane plan outfits offers one but it still costs about the same as a teleflex system. The only drawback with fitting a teleflex system to my motor is it doesn't have a tilt tube so I need the transom bracket which is really pricey considering what you are getting.

J