Sticky throttle 07 Yamaha 25HP 2 stroke

jkhoward_7

Recruit
Hello, i'm new to this forum. I was hoping someone could help me diagnose my sticky throttle on my Yamaha.

The engine starts just fine and runs like always...very well. For whatever reason, the throttle will only open up to a little past idle. When twisting the throttle it sticks and i have to really twist hard to get it to pop and open up. I just recently discovered this problem and reluctant to take it back out until the problem is fixed.

Is this due to improper on-going maintence on my end? Meaning, is there a way to lubricate the cable? I have not done this since the motor was put on my boat new two years ago. I know i listed 07 for the year; however, it was put on a 08 Alumacraft with zero hours.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sticky throttle 07 Yamaha 25HP 2 stroke

Does it stick like that when you have it in forward gear? There is a lockout in neutral so you can't over-rev it.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Sticky throttle 07 Yamaha 25HP 2 stroke

First check your throttle friction control screw, then the twist mechanism, then the cable, then the carb linkeages. May need to dissasemble the throttle twist mechanism to identify cause of binding and lubricate it with oil or marine grease. good Luck!