Carbeurator leaking gas when trying to prime bulb

da_n24

Cadet
I've got a late seventies early eighties 9.8 mercury lightning ignition, and the last time i took her out whenever i tried to prime the bulb gas would seep out of the carb and the bulb would not prime. Any suggestions?? I just got this motor about a year ago ran good last year, still runs good just won't prime. Carb kits? New carb? lemme know.:redface:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carbeurator leaking gas when trying to prime bulb

Ethanol.Some parts of the world(where you from,profile)suffer from Ethanol poisoning.
It's ruining hoses,fuel pump diaphragms and delaminating the rubber in the hoses.
Start by cleaning the carb.Then rebuild the fuel pump and replace all the hoses the squeezie too.J

j_martin

Admiral

If the carburetor floods when fuel pressure is applied (squeezing the primer bulb) then 1 of 3 things is taking place.
1. Needle valve propped open with debris. Fix: put in kit
2. Float sunk. Fix: put in kit.
3 Gorilla on the squeeze bulb. You can develop 15 - 20 lbs with a white knuckle grip. the Needle valve is good for about 7. Fix: lighten up.

hope it helps
John

da_n24

Cadet

Thanks, I'll check that out. Not squeezing too hard though, last year it would prime, I bet it has something to do with the needle valve. When I pulled it out this year it had dirt dobber mud in the drain line from the water pump. I'll try that