61' Evinrude 5.5 tiller throttle stiff

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
We have our old 5.5 running pretty well, been using it to power our 16' Starcraft as a kicker motor on lake requiring less than 10HP and been pretty happy with it. I have noticed that the tiller throttle assembly is stiff, at least it feels that way to me. Having no experiance with them before maybe I expect too much but I do not think it should be this way. I have just hooked up a remote to it so we can operate it from the driver's seat, also have a connector rod so both engines steer together. The control box has been cleaned and lubed and has new cables, and I can use it. But the stiffness from the tiller makes it more of a chore than it should be. I have lubed everywhere I can see, would it make any sense to take the tiller apart or do you think after all of these years that is normal and not a big deal? Maybe the gears are just worn after all of this time....This is not a major headache, but would like to fix it is possible.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 61' Evinrude 5.5 tiller throttle stiff

I'm having similar probs on a '66 33 hp. folks here recommended disassembling, thoroughly cleaning, then reassembling the tiller throttle linkage while adding/subtracting washers to move the gears forward/back as needed to ensure that they interlock properly. Lithium grease can then be used to lubricate the gears. I've also heard that the older nylon/plastic gears tend to wear out and that OMC sells brass replacement gears, if you want to spend the money. I'm gonna try the washers on mine to see if it helps before I go buy new gears. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, I actually read your post just a little while ago. I have an old parts diagram and looks like I will be tearing this down along with the other things I planned on working on over the winter, ie. impeller, replacing broken housing, and other misc. repairs, based on what else I find. I guess there's always something to work on on these old boats and motors!:)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep. Often times corrosion will develop beneith where the nylon bushins will go and make them squeeze hard on the moving parts, therefore making everything stiff to turn.:cool:

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if it's the same, but on my little guy theres a flat head screw to adjust the steering tension?........don't see how it could just get tight on it's own though......just spitballing......

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow......throttle, not steering.....lol disregard......i just got home from three halloween parties lol.....my fault.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

LOL, no problem. I have never checked that either since it steers OK but I need to make myself familar with it anyway. I do have some kind of nut for that I think. This old motor has seen a lot of action in it's 49 years of service. Not sure it had the best of care either. A few bangs here and there and has a chunk broken off near the release handle. And the LU drain seals were so tough I thought I would never get them out. I did eventually...in small bits at a time. It is amazing it runs as well as it does.

lindy46

Captain

May be the armature plate needs cleaning/lubricating. Remove the retainer spring which connects the tiller to the arm on the plate, and see how the tiller works with it disconnected. If the tiller operates freely, then you need to work on the armature plate. If it's the tiller, then, yes, corrosion will have to be taken apart and cleaned/lubed.