acetone on a cowl

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just have a easy question for someone i'm sure.I just stripped all the paint off my cowl to repaint it and was wondering if i could clean it off with acetone before i paint it up without hurting the cowl?I just painted my lower unit and used acetone but that is metal and this is a hard plastic.

I sanded it down to rough it up and then wet sanded it smooth to just repaint it so i don't think i need to prime it.If anyone can help me on this that would be great.Also if i can't use acetone what should i use to make sure it is 100% clean to paint?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: acetone on a cowl

I'm confident the cowl is some type of reinforced plastic, maybe try the acetone on a spot Inside the cowl, to see how it reacts. Otherwise mineral spirits would probably do fine as a final cleaner before painting. Good Luck!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: acetone on a cowl

Use soap and water, or just wipe it off. You use acetone when the part is oily and greasy, but that's not usually the case with the cowl.

You most certainly Do need to prime it. Regular automotive primer will not work well long term. That part is made from a polyester resin (its basically "fiberglass), thus you need a primer for plastics. Self etching primer for aluminum will work ok too.

Just be sure there are no decals left. They need to be removed before any paint is applied.