Alarm Issue '85 OMC 115HP with VRO

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone!

My '85 115HP OMC has a strange alarm beeping at me. Yesterday while up on plane and cruising along very nicely my alarm started beeping real fast. I could back the throttle down and it would stop. My crappy book doesn't tell me about this alarm. Any one have an idea?

Thanks - Larry

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alarm Issue

Chances are that's an over heat alarm. You might consider a new impeller and check the thermostats too.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought about over heat but I had that problem a couple of years ago and it acted different. Overheat alarm was a constant sound. I have good water flow, new stats and water pump and sensors in each head earlier this year. What about oil flow in the VRO? What kind of alarm does this give me?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I think the VRO alarm is the rapid beep that you described ( I didn't realize you were talking about a VRO motor in my first reply). There are a couple of possibilities, one being the pump itself, or the sender switch inside the oil tank. It's obvious the alarm is working correctly as it will beep and then stop when you back off the throttle. Do you see a drop in the oil reservoir while you are running the motor and if so, has the amount of oil used changed at all recently?

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alarm Issue '85 OMC 115HP with VRO

Sorry for the confusion oldcatamount! I realized my mistake and changed my title after your first reply!
It looks like I am using oil. I filled the oil tank yesterday morning before going out and it looks to be down about an inch since on 9 gallons of fuel. I just replaced the oil filter unit on the bottom of the oil suction tube in the oil tank and did a complete clean out of the oil tank earlier this year. Sounds like I may have a VRO issue?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not going to be able to help you much with this issue. It's way to serious for me to be guessing about what to do. I don't fully trust the VRO system because I don't know very much about them. I'm sure there is a way to test the pump and hopefully someone on this forum can help us with it. Keep us posted because there are alot of folks that will benefit from your end result!

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I appreciate your help and honest response. I hope I can get some answers here. I know in the past the people here have been very helpful and friendly and I appreciate it!

Skagit Hunter

Seaman Apprentice

I dont know alot about the VRO system. But I do know that ditching that crap and pre mixing will save your motor.
The three motors that I have had contact with, That had a VRO system is....The VRO acts up at the worst time WOT. It is a no brainer to pre mix and not worry when that piece of crap is going to stop working.....It doesn't take long to fry your motor without oil.
Them buzzers are like Idiot lights....They work "AFTER" there is a prob.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skagit Hunter

I am a believer in the VRO system and have many boating friends that are as well. I have owned this engine for 25 years and even though I am on my third power head (over 10,000 hours on each power head) I have only had one failure with a VRO, three years ago, and that was the fuel side. If your alarm system is functional and you maintain your engine it is a very dependable system.
I have spoken with some folks that swear their engine problem was VRO related but after learning the facts found out the problem was somewhere else. Not to say they don't or won't fail but I and others have had great reliable servoce from them. Just my opinion!!!

Larry

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found my problem!!

The alarm I experienced was infact the oil side of the VRO. After checking into the oiling system I found the plastic fitting on the suction side of my oil tank primer bulb had cracked and was sucking air into the oil side. Guess I can't complain, a 25 year old part had failed. Picked up an OEM primer from my local shop and got it changed. Time to hit the water and enjoy the rest of the day!!!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Rock On Dude!!!! Good news and thanks for posting! Goes to show just how accurate and reliable that alarm system is.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

OLDCATAMOUNT

Thanks! Just got back from taking the old boat out on alocal lake and it ran like a dream! Going out tomorrow to Tampa Bay and have some fun!

The alarm system (if properly maintained) works great. In all the years I have had this boat and motor I have only had a couple of alarms. Overheat, low oil in the tank (oops) and now this. The shop mechanic I spoke with this morning told me the alarm indicated insufficient oil flow through the VRO which after finding the air getting sucked into the line I can accept.

Thanks for the posts and enjoy boating!

Larry

Fed

Commander

I keep an unopened bottle of oil in my boat waiting for a no oil alarm so I can pour it into the gas tank and turn it into premix.
Cheap insurance IMO.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

FED -
So do I. Always have a gallon on board just in case but have never needed it for an emergency.