Converting

kb3gup

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. I'm buying a 90hp etec (new) and was wondering how hard it would be to convert it to 115hp? One big problem is my boat is only rated to 90, so a dealer won?t touch it. I was also wondering how much of a safety issue this would be? If there's a definite risk to me or the boat I won?t do it. Thanks!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Converting

I am surprised the dealer won't convert it for you, just take the motor off and tell him you would like it goosed up to the 115hp level, he should have no problem with that. That said

Now on the safety side, many boats I have seen can take more that what they are rated for, but you better make sure everything is in perfect shape, they are rated for a certain HP for a reason, based on structure and design and then certified for that, you also might want to check the liability laws in the state you reside in, in the state I live in, if I put more on the transom that what the boat is rated for, I can be ticketed and god forbid if I have an accident with injuries, watch out, because I can be charged with a felony and do prison time!

In all honesty and it is just my opinion, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to pick up a boat rated for the type of HP you want to run..but again, that is just my opinion, I am sure others will be different..

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! If I had a new 90hp E-Tec, I wouldn't touch anything but the throttle lever!
Congrats Man!!

You haven't mentioned what boat you've got, or if you've even had the boat in the water yet. I'm wondering why you need more power.

I have a boat that's rated for 90 HP, which is what it has - it does about 45 and if I wanted to put a lot of effort into trying different props, playing with engine height, and maybe adding a jackplate I believe I could get maybe 50 mph out of it. But to be honest it's really fast enough as is, it's got a great hole shot and can yank up a skier or wakeboarder with no problem.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

90 hp is a 79 cu. in 3 cylinder available as a 75 or 90.The 115 is a 4 cylinder.105 cu in available in 115,115HO, and 130 hp.Probably why the dealer won't(can't) tune it to 115.

Skagit Hunter

Seaman Apprentice

They rate boats for the stuctural support. Is the few HP worth it? I guess if you have money to burn.
Dealers cant mount a motor on a boat that is higher than the boat is rated.
If you want to boost it up. You take the motor off and bring it in. Even though they know what you are going to do, It is off their hands.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You just spent a bunch of money on a very complicated outboard that is designed to be what it is.

Do yourself a favor and leave your motor alone. Go enjoy it as is.