Outboard Pod/Bracket Design

spargs

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I am going through the process of restoring a savage 23 foot half cabin (Australian built hull).

It?s from the 70?s vintage and the current hull looks like this:

DSC00166.jpg

I am wanting to modernise the hull by changing the nose of the deck and also converting the hull from an inboard to an outboard/dual outboard design.

I have photoshopped the design I want to follow and this is it:

Design.jpg

The question I have is in relation to the outboard bracket/pod that I want to add. I was wondering whether the bracket should follow the shape of the bottom like this:

rear.jpg

Or whether the bracket should be raised about 1-2 inches above the keel line, like this:

rearraised.jpg

I would really appreciate peoples opinions on this.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Nick.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Outboard Pod/Bracket Design

Hi spargs :)

I dont know much about the engineering aspect of outboards..but do you think that your bracket lifted off the keel a few inches would create some cavitation problems ?

Looks like a cool Mod..

Was wondering if you have looked into just a bolt on trans OB bracket.

This is alot of forms and glassing.. expensive ya know :) .

Looking forward to some start to finish help and pics.

YD.

PS. dont get me wrong..with enough $ you can make anything. but sometimes for less $ you can buy it outright :) .

drewpster

Commander

This is a modification that I looked in to for my cabin boat as well. I decided against it because of the scale of the changes I would have to make are outside my capabilities on my boat. However it is a very interesting idea.
The engine brackets I looked at were all made as a bolt on module, not as formed part of the hull.
I would also suggest that you modify your transom to handle the forces that the extension will place on it.
There are quite a few engineering considerations in making the changes it would take to mount outboards on a boat built as an inboard. I sure would like to see how you get it done.

steve riddell

Seaman

Hey Spargs
Anything is possible with Fibre glass, I'm in the middle of doing the same kind of mod to My boat & was going to make the same kinda O/B bracket that looked like it was factory, as i piccked up a couple of nice outboards on cl.
I was going to make it like the pict you show of it being a few inches higher so the trim tabs & drain plug would remain the same, make a wood frame around the hole thing so it can be bolted to the transom as well as molded in
I found a site but cant rember where i still have the plans in my head, if i find it i will send it to ya!!
i think i seen it on here somewhere!!
Seeing the pictures of ypur design has me thinkin outbourds again the extra deck space sure is nice

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Hello parqs....Quite an interesting project!!!!! First question....are you intending to leave the existing transom in place, or remove it and try to gain some extra floor space??? How much of an extension are you planning....2', 2-1/2', 3' ?????
I would suggest leaving the exist trans. to maintain the integrity of the hull...Never been "Down Under" , but understand the water can be extremly rough much of the time. Continue the hull side shape to the mtr. bracket, and continue the existing chine line back thru the addition like example 1....But instead of making the bottom of the extension follow the "V" of the existing hull, run it Flat from chine to chine creating a "step".....Many, many producton performance boats use some sort of a step in one form or another for a number of reasons..... it will allow you to mount the motors higher(because of the higher transom..good for safety!) It will in no way affect the performance of the boat....possibly make it better!!!
Love to hear your opinion of my ideas!!!........Jim

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Jim again, Spargs.......Play with your photo shop and change the rounded front of the forward cabin to a slanted one, following the same slant angle of the upper windshield of the hardtop......may have to go to a single window........also, change to oval windows in the forward cabin sides to a trapizodial shape similar to the window under the hardtop.
You could also make the slope of the bow rail stantions match the angle of the side of the motor bracket/pod.
Repeating similar angles thru-out the boat ties the entire thing together visually.......
Regardless.......Best of luck.......Love to see the

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

end result!!!! Jim
(I NEED a NEW Keyboard that listens to ME!!!)

spargs

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jim,

Firstly really sorry for the delayed reply, really appreciate the time you took to respond.

The plan is to leave the existing transom in place and produce a BOLT ON bracket which has an offset of about 3 feet. The bracket will follow the shape of the hull but be brought in 3 inches or so from each edge so that i wont have excessive fairing to contend with. The keel of the bracket will be about 3-4 inches above that of the keel of the boat so I will create a stepped like hull as you mention.

The plan for the moulded bracket/platform is below:

podoutline.jpg

moulddesign.jpg

With regards to the design. I have decided to keep the basic shape of the hull. The effort i would have to go to in order to modernise the bow of the boat would be extreme (to get a good result) and to be honest would probably hamper resale value. These boats are classics here is Australia and i think i will just restore the hull to a high quality finish.

I will make some slight mods. The existing cabin windows will be replaced with tinted glass and the helm will be fully enclosed to suit the conditions we experience over here. The fully enclosed hardtop should make for warmer trips home when it gets rough outside.

Have a look at my revised proposal. I am pretty happy with it and would like to here peoples thoughts!.

boltonpod.jpg

DSC00166-1.jpg

Cheers,

Spargs

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I dunno m8...

Im kinda thinking T top..

Wow..thats just.. Alot..

Dont get me wrong..its a very cool mod.

Just wondering if you had any kinda $$ amount this is going to cost you yet ?

YD.

PS. Hope I dont get bashed from asking if its within the Limits of the project.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Cool project.

Your right about wanting the bracket to be higher then the bottom of the hull.

I'd really consider an aluminum bracket.

Gil, b-bracket, aluminum marine products and armstong all make good ones

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackets.htm

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm really interested in this whole pod thing too. I really like the one Strick built in the link above. That seems totally doable. My only question is that in his pod he built up the transom end of his pod but the front was just fiberglass with the foam stringers tabbed into it. It seemed like it should have had a piece of plywood on the front end of the pod too not as thick as the rear but enough to transfer the load across. Also as a side question my bayliner only has a transom in the center with two high knees to the stringers. To add a pod would it be better to extend the transom all the way across the rear of the boat? Love to hear your feedback.

thanks
Renny