To Fog or Not to Fog F150?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't find any info in either the owner's or service manual about fogging my 2008 F150. Is fogging recommended for winter storage on this motor? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: To Fog or Not to Fog F150?

I use the fogging mixture that mercruiser reccomends for thier MPI engines.
PM DonS and see if he can post it.
I dont have it on this machine.
but if done correctly it fogs the engine and protects the HP pump,the VST tank and the injectors.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's that Service bulletin with the mixture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fogging mixture.jpg
    Fogging mixture.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thanks DonS.
if you do some math you can cut the 6 gallon mix down some.
but this is typically what we use on EFI and MPI engines from all makes.
it protects the shiney parts of both the engine and the engines fuel system.
we also use crankcase stor n start as an oil treatment when winterizeing.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. The mixture in the remote fuel tank sounds like the way to go. I've got a 3 gal. tank someplace. That should be plenty for a 5-10 minute run. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

3 gallons will be more than enough. When you are done winterizing, just dump what is left into your fuel tank. It will be diluted with all the fuel, and won't hurt anything.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I don't mean to thread jack, but can I use Yamalube fuel stabilizer and conditioner plus, instead of the Mercury/Quicksilver fuel system treatment for the fogging solution?

codycuster

Cadet

Can I use this fogging process on my T9.9 kicker ??

Cody.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cody,NO.
if you do you WILL most likly be cleaning the carb come spring.
the above prcedure is for the EFI engines.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I don't mean to thread jack, but can I use Yamalube fuel stabilizer and conditioner plus, instead of the Mercury/Quicksilver fuel system treatment for the fogging solution?

Bump,

Still curious about above question.

Also if I use this fogging procedure, I will eliminate the need to drain VST's correct?

wildcat99

Cadet

I'm no expert and plan on doing this for the first time on my F115. You can use your choice of stabilizer and TCW-3 oil. I'm substituting marine Stabil and Valvoline for the Mercury products listed in the procedure. From what I understand it treats the fuel in the VST, rail and injectors so no need to drain the VST.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

we typically drain the VST then use the fuel primer on the remote tank to refill it. typically the F115 and F150 engines dont move near the fuel most larger displacement mercruisers and volvos do at idle.

codycuster

Cadet

Apologize in advance for my ignorance but, what is a "VST" ?

Cody

bear_69cuda

Commander

we typically drain the VST then use the fuel primer on the remote tank to refill it. typically the F115 and F150 engines dont move near the fuel most larger displacement mercruisers and volvos do at idle.

VST = vapor separator tank

Hey rodbolt,

If I run remote take with mix for 10-15 min @ 1300 rpm, will I still need to drain and fill VST? My 3 gal remote tank doesn't have a primer bulb, so I'm not sure how to fill...

Regards,

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if I remember, when i get home tonight ill light off my F150 and look at the fuel burn rate at 1500.

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt to help answer that question how much fuel would you estimate the VST holds on an F150

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok, I lit off my F150 last night.
at 1500 RPM the fuel burn was 1 gallon per hour.
my guess is between the engine filter,lines,VST and rails the system holds about 1/2 gallon.
thats why I drain the cup,drain the VST and refill it with the storage mix then run it for 10-15 minutes.
DO NOT attmpt to run the F150 on a flusher at 1500 RPM for 15 minutes.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks for checking that rodbolt.

So after all the F150's fluids are changed oil, (via vacuum not draining), lower unit oil is changed, and all fittings lubed etc.

In this order I then do the following.

1: Drain fuel cup and fill with mix.
2: Drain VST and fill with mix. (how do I fill the VST? my remote tank does not have a primer bulb)
3: Run engine on muffs with remote tank mix for 10-15 min @ what rpm?
4: After the fogging run I leave the fuel mix in the VST and cup all winter.

When you say " DO NOT run F150 on a flusher at 1500 rpm's for 15 min" your talking muffs correct? Is this because it will not provide enough water pressure to cool the F150 at this rpm?

So I understand fully, filling the VST and fuel cup pre-fogging run on the F150 is to assure the mix gets distributed, due to running the F150 for 10-15 min only burns ~ 1/4 gal of mix.

I appreciate your wisdom and patience with this rodbolt, I just want to protect my engine, and make sure I do this correctly.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

(how do I fill the VST? my remote tank does not have a primer bulb)

If you install a primer bulb for the remote tank you can fill the fuel cup VST and the lines simply by pumping the primer bulb

diditagain

Cadet

how long is to long for a four stroke with stable marine to sit without being run? i plan to use mine about once a month in the winter. we useually have a warm day now and then here in northwest florida. it's going to be 77 and sunshine today! even when it's coldest in jan. & feb. i try to at least get out on the river. thanks, joe...