Need A Reason To Be Shipshape?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
I just finished reading an article about a local boating accident that happened some months ago. I remember reading about it when it occured - a guy took his toddler son and a buddy fishing late at night. The buddy, who was not wearing a PFD, was thrown out of the boat for "unknown reasons."

As it turns out, the reason was absolutely known, because the owner had a steering defect that he had been aware of for some time. Apparently, something caused the steering system to jerk to a hard right occasionally. This occurred, the buddy was thrown out of the boat and he drowned.

Here's the point to my post - the boat owner was initially charged with negligent homicide, because he knew of the defect and didn't fix it. He was lucky and a grand jury declined to return charges on the matter, but you can bet this guy had some legal bills. Further, he is quite likely to find himself in civil court next, fighting a lawsuit from the family of the deceased.

Keep 'em wearing the PFDs and fix yer dang boat!

???

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Need A Reason To Be Shipshape?

I spent a couple hrs. at the boat ramps the other day just for something to do, helped out with some docking lines ect. it was a real busy afternoon windy, anyhow I noticed this one old guy wearing a life preserver....the end.