1969 merc 200 20hp phelon flywheel magneto no fire

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet
not firing,installed new points,condensers,good compression,is it possible for both coils to be bad? Does stop button have any effect on firing,the push section is missing? Can't afford to guess as it is expensive for this old motor.Any help appreciated.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1969 merc 200 20hp phelon flywheel magneto no fire

I"m working a 62 60 6 hp right now, same mag as you , no spark, new points condensors- coils ohm perfectly. No stop in the equation, i'm puzzled too- i'm still working on it.

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

I"m working a 62 60 6 hp right now, same mag as you , no spark, new points condensors- coils ohm perfectly. No stop in the equation, i'm puzzled too- i'm still working on it.

I've been told stator could be bad on my '69 200 20hp;wondering if there is a way to test it or does one just buyit and tryit? You and I may need to do this.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My motor does not have a stator, just coils points and condensors. I figured it out, both coils are shot, i'm getting spark but no jump, I can hold the wires with my hand , rotate the flywheel and feel a small jolt. If you're motor has points, condensors and a stator with no powerpack it's phase maker. Yes you can test the stator, the green wire puts out 450+volts when cranked, you will need a DVA to test. Disconnect the green wire and test with the meter, just be careful, it's a high volt ignition system.

I rechecked the readings on the coil online, lower that what I was reading.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

best I recall the phelon ign worked backwards from almost anything. it OPENED the circuit to kill it.
will have to find my manual but best I remember thats how the kill system worked on the phelon system.
was an early attempt at a low tension ADI style ign with points.
I think it was also called a phase-maker at one point.
gonna go help a friend pull a net so Ill be gone for a bit.
but I saw the manual recently while moving some stuff.
havent seen an engine with that system in close to 20 years.
luckily here in the salt pond they all dissolved away.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yup, the kill switch had to be grounded to allow for spark, the points worked backward to omc. The points almost never need replacing even when black, they worked best black and dirty. Either the stator is shot, the insulator blocks are cracked, bad coils or the wiring is bad.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

oh
the other thing I remembered.
even 20 years ago the cost of replacement parts were shocking.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yup, the stator is like $250, I wouldn't pay that for a used 20 hp motor LOL

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

best I recall the phelon ign worked backwards from almost anything. it OPENED the circuit to kill it.
will have to find my manual but best I remember thats how the kill system worked on the phelon system.

The push part of my button is missing,a white wire goes from one point-coil connection and a salmon color from the other and goes to a plastic looking something that just connects to the side of the motor.A grounding device I suppose that has to do with killing the engine. Thanks...more info appreciated

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

My motor does not have a stator, just coils points and condensors. I figured it out, both coils are shot, i'm getting spark but no jump, I can hold the wires with my hand , rotate the flywheel and feel a small jolt. If you're motor has points, condensors and a stator with no powerpack it's phase maker. Yes you can test the stator, the green wire puts out 450+volts when cranked, you will need a DVA to test. Disconnect the green wire and test with the meter, just be careful, it's a high volt ignition system.

I rechecked the readings on the coil online, lower that what I was reading.

There are no wires on this stator,none of the laminates are cracked,can't see anything wrong,there are some gaps between laminates when coils are removed. Glad to hear that you are making progress on your motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

There has to be wires going from the stator to the coils , 1 green and 1 salmon for the kill circuit. What is the serial number of the motor, may not have a stator at all but if it's phase maker it sure does.

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

:confused:

The seloc manual that I have just don't give info hardly on this old motor.Got the motor cheap,hope to get it running,looks pretty good.

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

There has to be wires going from the stator to the coils , 1 green and 1 salmon for the kill circuit. What is the serial number of the motor, may not have a stator at all but if it's phase maker it sure does.

Serial #2553108,evidently the green has been replaced with white.Maybe what I'm calling point-coil connection may be the stator wires.I'm totally in the dark with this motor.My seloc manual don't help.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Give me a sec and i'll look it up. I troubleshot a 7.5 with phase maker to death this summer, I know it like the back of my hand LOL

bktheking

Vice Admiral

So- question, are the coils external at the back of the powerhead or are they under the flywheel. According to the merc parts site the coils are under the flywheel, according to CDI, 1970 models had the coils at the back of the motor.

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

So- question, are the coils external at the back of the powerhead or are they under the flywheel. According to the merc parts site the coils are under the flywheel, according to CDI, 1970 models had the coils at the back of the motor.

The coils are under the flywheel.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Then it's not phase maker, hmmm. You may want to logon to John's Old Mercury Website and post the issue. If it's got a stator but points and coils is it electric start?

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

Then it's not phase maker, hmmm. You may want to logon to John's Old Mercury Website and post the issue. If it's got a stator but points and coils is it electric start?

There is a starter bracket but nothing else to suggest it ever had a starter mounted on it.It is equipped with recoil pull start.I did take the bracket off and it exposes the sides of the pistons,I wonder if these motors of this year were all equipped with the bracket?

Laddies

Banned

Woodchucker, you have a simple magneto system just as you said in the first post it grounds off by the stop button shorting the 2 sets of points together so if the switch is damaged just disconnect it at the junction block on the side od the engine. Use a OHM meter to check the point and wires to the stator from the junction block for shorts here's a wiring diagram to help. For a non electric engine disregard the electric start part of harness.
2.jpg

WOODCHUCKER

Cadet

Woodchucker, you have a simple magneto system just as you said in the first post it grounds off by the stop button shorting the 2 sets of points together so if the switch is damaged just disconnect it at the junction block on the side od the engine. Use a OHM meter to check the point and wires to the stator from the junction block for shorts here's a wiring diagram to help. For a non electric engine disregard the electric start part of harness.
2.jpg

Thanks for the diagram,I'm quite certain the white and salmon wires on my motor are wired opposite the diagram,I do have the stop button wires disconnected at junction. I need all help I can get, thanks again