Take a Penny, Leave a Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice
The trays are by every cash register here, probably every cash register everywhere. You can help yourself to a penny or two to make exact change, or drop off the penny or two you get as change to help out the next guy.

I've noticed an odd trend, especially at the convenience store where I get coffee in the morning: nickles, dimes and quarters.

I have no problem helping myself to the silver. I picked up 85 cents this morning, two quarters, three dimes and a nickle. I figure if someone cares so little about their money that they are willing to throw it away, why shouldn't I benefit? For that matter, I can't imagine it even being their money. It's probably kids tossing the change from Daddy's hard earned. :eek:

I have never walked past a dollar on the ground without stopping and picking it up. What do you think?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Take a Penny, Leave a Penny

Not sure I'd be pocketing change from the tray. Sort of like deciding you'd benefit more then Jerry Kids', or the ASPCA, or whatever other charity has a jar out. If anyone should be allowed to pocket it, it should be the guy behind the counter for all the *%^$* he has to put up with for $7/hr. :p

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

If your short of don't want to break a larger bill, maybe. To "pocket" it seems tacky and cheep at best.

JRJ

Commander

My bill came to $5.02 and I asked the clerk if I could use 2 cents from the tray. She said sure, and thanks for asking.
Poor form to just take the money imo.

TilliamWe

Banned

With my job, I'd get fired for pocketing change while in uniform. It's really hard for me to adjust even when out in public, and not in uniform. So I will not "take" the penny, but I have dropped one or two in while in uniform, though.

Fly Rod

Commander

The trays are by every cash register here, probably every cash register everywhere. You can help yourself to a penny or two to make exact change, or drop off the penny or two you get as change to help out the next guy.

I've noticed an odd trend, especially at the convenience store where I get coffee in the morning: nickles, dimes and quarters.

I have no problem helping myself to the silver. I picked up 85 cents this morning, two quarters, three dimes and a nickle. I figure if someone cares so little about their money that they are willing to throw it away, why shouldn't I benefit? For that matter, I can't imagine it even being their money. It's probably kids tossing the change from Daddy's hard earned. :eek:

I have never walked past a dollar on the ground without stopping and picking it up. What do you think?

Pocketing the change is "STEALING."

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Take a couple of penny's-yes
Leave a couple of penny's- yes
scoop out the silver- lame

skargo

Banned

I'd recommend getting a job if you're relegated to absconding with change that people are leaving to help others...

NickyBFWB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I actually don't go anywhere that has the take a penny leave a penny which makes me sad.

To the OP I guess I am one of those who has little regard for my change. I have and do drop in nickels and dimes (I occassionally drop quarters as well) mostly because I hate it jiggling around in my pocket and because I don't normally make exact change.

Would I pocket any of that money? Hell no, that is like taking money out of the offering plate at church. Not something people should do.

Just dropping off my 2 cents.

Doh the OP just grabbed that too.

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I go to the same gas station for coffee and a snack everyday. Once in a blue moon I might be a little short in change so I'll take a penny or two. Once a week I drop my change back into the tray usually 50-75 cents. I ask the cashier to make it nickles so more people can use it. I like the thought of helping people out if they come up short in change. If I saw someone take the entire amount for a coffee or refill out of the tray they would hear some pretty heavy words from me.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was standing in line at a gas station once. Got my turn to pay and I had just a few sodas, no fuel. She starts to ring it up and a guy walks past and says, "I'll stop back later and pay for the coffee" and walks out the door. The gal didn't say anything.
After the tells me the total I tell her I'll stop back later to pay for this.. She responds by saying, "His wife works here so I know him"....:eek:

Seriously? I'm not one to make trouble. But I felt like dropping a note to the management/owner.. Tough call. Is a cup of coffee worth someones job? Guess that spins both ways...

Bigprairie1

Commander

....completely lame dude. Hopefully your next post isn't about how unfair the world has been to your situation.:eek:
Good Luck
BP:):cool:

LadyFish

Admiral

If you take all the money from the tray it defeats the purpose. Pretty soon there will be no more trays or extra pennys.

You are kidding right ? :rolleyes:

mphy98

Lieutenant

It is without a doubt the most lame thing I have ever heard anyone do. AND to BRAG about it, Wow how tacky indeed. Do you put in a dollar in the collection plate and then take out $1.50 in change as well. How low.

hostage

Lieutenant

Money, people still use that? I like plastic :)

-Hostage

WIMUSKY

Staff member

One word, pathetic..... Your dollar comparison is apples and oranges. Bet you wish you never started this thread about now. That is, unless you're trolling.....

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

If I would have been with ya, I sure as hell woud have prentended I wasnt.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW if you are serious that is really not the intended use so it is Theft by Fraud in reality IMO WOW unbelievable & also why we all have locks & alarms on everything now days since your logic could be used in many situations.

I just hope your are kidding.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Before I put in my last answer I should have asked. Are you an able bodied, working man. Or are you special needs in some way that, that makes it hard for you to earn money to by food ? Or are you a victim of say Identity theft and have lost a bunch of money ? Did you have your life savings wiped out by a junk bond, mortgage scam or the like ? Are you a disabled war vet? Have you taken in a bunch of foster kids, or do you donate a bunch of time to a worthy cause? If so... Then you MAY have some justification IMHO But otherwise... boo hiss !

Status
Not open for further replies.