Mercruiser 888 -- Replace, rebuild or repower???

txarmydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Mercruiser 888 in my 18 ft 1977 Cobalt. I have no idea the condition of the engine, just a click from the solenoid when trying to start it. I just bought this boat, and have been working on the hull and interior since I got it.

My question is this: What is the cheaper route to take to get this thing running?

A. Should I drop a re-manufactured 888 in it? ($1300) Worth it or not???
B. What about a used 302 out of a truck/mustang? This boat is fresh water only. Will ford engines work? A used Ford motor could be acquired for DIRT CHEAP!
C. I understand there is a 898 option on this model that is a GM version of the motor. Would that be a cheaper route to go?
D. What about a valve-train -- cam, lifters, rods, springs, etc? How can I find out which parts will fit these heads? Any info on heads would be appreciated!!! Like, is there a Ford equivalent that has all the same bolt holes?

Oh yeah, and how would you get the motor out? Would a cherry picker be able to lift the motor high enough to get it out of the boat???

Thanks for your advise!

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 888 -- Replace, rebuild or repower???

I would certainly figure out whats wrong with the engine before even considering sticking 1300 bucks plus your labor into a 1977 boat. Could be something as simple as a starter. See if the engine turns by hand. If it doesn't, take the plugs out and PB Blast the cylinders. Theres a lot of other options besides "rebuilt engine"!!!

And for your next project, I would suggest starting at the drivetrain...if its no good, you can just pack it up without wasting/time and money. ;)

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

And if it does turn out the engine is bad, any non injected ford 302 will work, but you will want to switch all the marine accessories over, including cam, heads, waterpump, etc. It's a lot of work, and its been covered here if you search for it.

The heads on an 888 are actually 351w ford, drilled to fit 302 head studs.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yeah, I would be checking to make sure you were getting 12V+ to the starter solonoid and to the starter when you turn it over. If that checks out, I would put a socket wrench on the crank and turn it over by hand to make sure the motor isn't frozen. If that checks out, I'd be looking at getting the starter rebuilt or a new starter. Any Ford 302 would do from any year vehicle, but a truck 302 would be preferred because you wouldn't have to swap the cam/lifters.

No to the 898 (Chevy 305). First of all, you would have to change out a lot of the transom assembly (flywheel cover, exhaust y-pipe, etc.). Secondly, the 305 isn't, imo, equal to the 302. Kind of a dog of an engine (they can be tweaked).

find out the current condition of the 302 you have, if it's frozen up just drop in a rebuilt 302 longblock from rapido marine or other reliable marine engine builder.

zbnutcase

Commander

And if it does turn out the engine is bad, any non injected ford 302 will work, but you will want to switch all the marine accessories over, including cam, heads, waterpump, etc. It's a lot of work, and its been covered here if you search for it.

The heads on an 888 are actually 351w ford, drilled to fit 302 head studs.

Wrong. All 351W's use 1/2in head bolts, all 302's are 7/16 and these engines use a special shouldered bolt to put them on the 302. The heads are not "drilled",

JasonB

Lieutenant

Agree with the others. Figure out what's wrong first. Ford motors in cars are notorious for killing the fender mount solenoid. It's a $15 part that does exactly whet you describe. A loose batt cable can do similar as well..

txarmydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the reason I figured a new valve train is because the guy I bought it from said that it had either a collapsed lifter or a flattenned cam lobe. I am just feeling a little overewhelmed after looking at all the engine parts that are unfamiliar to me!

I have had mustangs and a classic custom Ford truck. Everything I've had has been fuel injected, though.

Thanks for all advise!

haulnazz15

Captain

Lifters and cams are cheap parts relatively-speaking.