determining exact bearing diameter for replacement?

bostonwhalermontauk1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
What is the best fool proof way of determining my actual hub and bearing size so I know I am replacing it with the right one the first time? I am unsure the trailer company is even in busines any longer, but I know the hubs are readily available aftermarket. Would just the use of a caliper be good enough to determine inside diameter of the bearing - and use that # for replacement - or is the bearing size a measurement from a different reference point? Also - what is the best:rolleyes: way to remove a bearing buddy to get to the bearing retainer nut? - Should i re use my bearing buddies on new hubs, or just put new ones on? Thanks in advance for any input guys - Paul

Grumman59

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: determining exact bearing diameter for replacement?

I use a very large pair of Channelocks to remove bearing Buddies and grease caps. I just grip them and wiggle them back and forth while pulling. Or you can tap them sideways all around and they should work out.

For standard spindle and bearing sizes, see the sticky at the top of this section. Measuring both the inner and outer spindle seats (if different) and the seal track with calipers should be enough and the bearings should also have part numbers on them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Use the numbers on the bearings. No measurement necessary.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take the old bearings with you when you go to buy the new ones.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

......and when they turn out to be something really weird, buy a whole new axle from Tractor Supply for $130. :p