???seacast or not???

brownhornet

Seaman Apprentice
:eek:
Ok heres the idea?? Or thought at least?? Im on my first(working) boat. 1986 Bayliner 160 with an 85Hp Force.Before that was a 1988?19ft Seasprite(Cracked block 4.3 project never started) And before that 1972 Sea sumthing or another Tri-Hull with a 140Hp Renault(BOY OH BOY).....
I am looking into putting a new floor in to the bayliner and maybe the transom. I was wondering who has you Seacast and what do you think of it?? My thought is to lay Seacast stinger and tran and glass the floor. Thinking if I do that I will have a boat built to last??

What do you all think???????????:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: ???seacast or not???

Using Sea Cast on the 1600 Capri is going to be difficult because there is no inside skin to hold the sea cast. In other words, Sea Cast is usually used when a transom has an inner and outer skin. The wood inside is removed and Sea Cast poured in. But the Capri has only an outer skin, and its 1/2" thick, followed by 3/4 - 1-1/2" of ply. No inside skin. Also, the 1600 model line used knee braces, and you need to maintain that design. Also the transom is actually 3 interior wood panels, and one 1/2" outer fiberglass panel.

If the transom is bad, I would just replace the ply and use pressure treated if you want to ensure it will last a long time.

Regarding the stringers, once the wood stringer is removed, there is no cavity left to fill will Sea Cast. It would be best to cut new stringers out of ply and glass in. The stringers sit on one of the "steps" in the modified stepped V hull.

The 1600 has a rather simple stringer/floor/bulkhead design, should be easy and quick to replace with quality wood and fully glass in to protect it. I doubt the cap even has to come off to do the transom. I think all three sections can be fit in place with the cap on.

JMO

brownhornet

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I will have to look at it 2maro. I am looking at getting a 22or 27 ftr and this is going to the father in-law. So I have to get it right.. Dont want to hear about a boat going down!!!:eek: that would not be good

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree completely with what Mark said. Also you sure do have a thing for boats with obsolete powerplants :eek:

Good luck with your project.