Suggestions for attaching ski rope to harness?

mltitlntd

Cadet
I have a rope harness that attaches to the two rings on my boats transom. it has only a loop on it, as opposed to a quick connect. My ski rope also has only a loop. I have read that tying a knot to connect the two weakens the system. How best to attach the two loops together?

Thanks!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Suggestions for attaching ski rope to harness?

Just use a metal spring-clip. If the loop on the rope is big enough to pass the handle through, you can always pass the rope through the loop to get a fail-proof connection.

mltitlntd

Cadet

Thanks. I had read somewhere about just passing the ski rope loop through the harness loop, and then passing the handle and the rest of the rope through the ski rope loop to connect it, but that seemed kind of like a "knot". Will that not weaken the line?

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't think it weakens anything. I've seen ropes attached in all sorts of ways and hold up just fine. I've had an old rope break in the middle, and we tied simple square knots to mend it back together. Rope held just fine pulling a tube for the rest of the summer until we replaced it. Just fasten it whichever way you think looks secure and go boating!