Eska 3.5hp 1973 runs for about 2 minutes great & quits

My 1973 Eska 3.5hp engine runs superb for about 2 minutes and then shuts down. Wait a few minutes and it does it again.

I unscrewed the gas cap very loose in case it was a plugged vent. Nope.
I pulled the sediment bowl and opened up the fuel. It flowed.

What else could act like a timer?

I LOVE this engine over our 1.75hp Game Fisher / Weed Eater noise annoying high pitched under propped flimsy covered, but super light weight engine. Because the Eska is quiet and pushes absolutely effortlessly at what sounds to the ears as 1/2 rpm of that screaming weed-eater.

It takes very very little HP to push a NACRA Catamaran. So I put up with the weedeater outboard for a few minutes to get out to the wind for the sails to catch. But for low wind days I would love to have this engine as a prime mover.

So help me put the quiet back into this sailboat. Lol! :)

M

mrcrabs

Re: Eska 3.5hp 1973 runs for about 2 minutes great & quits

My first guess would be the coil or condenser, seconed would be the float level. a 11/64 drill bit is used to set the float level. If you need a Tecumseh engine manual just send me a personel message and I will point you in the right direction or you can do a search in this forum for the link.

and if you can give us your model no.

Thanks

It is a model # 1945A from 1973 says the internet for that number.

Coils can be tested with an ohm meter "IF" you know the specifications, but it is very rare to see that. Maybe there is a "Typical" range for them.

I'll have to research that and testing condensors.

M

mrcrabs

let me backup there bam bam, I would look at all elements of the fuel system first...like fuel pump bladder, even though you have a good flow with the bowel removed doesn't necessarily mean you have good flow with the bowel on

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

<My 1973 Eska 3.5hp engine runs superb for about 2 minutes and then shuts down. Wait a few minutes and it does it again.>

A classic description of a fuel flow problem! Take mrcrabs advice.

M

mrcrabs

could be as simple as a sticky float, manual says to losen bowl and give a 1/4 turn and back...

dwco5051

Commander

You are getting good advice that is leaning towards a fuel problem. When electrical components break down it usually happens when they are heated up. A few minutes after shutdown and it starts and runs again as you described would not let the electrical system cool down but it would allow the float bowl to refill if you are not getting a good fuel flow.