I don't know beans when it comes to boats, and I want to restore one.

wrzesinski

Recruit
I was looking on craigslist for a trailer to help with transporting stuff for my volunteer projects and I found this:

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/boa/2028969329.html

"Glass magic fiberglass 14' hull. 70 horse power Chrysler outboard. Last run in 1998. Includes trailer. Will make a good project boat that you can customize. Needs interior remodel. asking $300.00 or best offer."

I haven't bought it yet but I am very interested in it for the trailer. The guy is going to call me back when he gets home with details on it.

I am completely new to boating and I have ALOT of time on my hands and was wondering what all I should look for in the boat if I wanted to get it in the water. Like the ad says, the boat hasn't been run for over 10 years and probably hasn't been well kept.

I am pretty good with my hands, I learn quick, and have previous experience with fiberglass application.

What should I look for when I go to look at the boat?

How much do you think it would cost to have a running usable boat? [I don't care about aesthetics as long as it is mechanically sound]

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: I don't know beans when it comes to boats, and I want to restore one.

Welcome to iBoats!
Restoring a boat of this vintage can be a daunting task. First off you asked for an estimate on cost. That is hard to say because it is hard to know what all will need to be done but a ball park figure for restoring the boat will be $1,000 to $1,500. The Motor is another matter. Parts are still available but they are still not cheap to work on. It could easily cost the same as the boat. So if you are willing to spend upwards of $3,000 dollars and spend 100 hrs of your time on restoring this boat, KNOWING that you will probably never get your money back then go for it. You WILL have fun, learn a lot, and have a boat that will be sound and give you a lot of pleasure. You will get a lot of help here on the forum. Search the forum for Transom Replacement, Stringer Replacement and you will find LOTS of examples of what you will need to do to bring her back to life.

Good Luck

I'm just sayin...:D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Honest opinion....... walk away from that one.

$300 for a start and probably another $600 PLUS (not counting the engine that "may" need work) more to have it safe and with seating, decking and other items.

Keep your eyes open .....there are good projects (with better motor's that are still in production) out there. This one should be avoided and even an experienced person would walk away.

Best place to learn about restoration is here on iboats. Look at the completed project section as a start.

wrzesinski

Recruit

Like I said I was mainly looking at it for the trailer, the boat is just extra.

I am ok with there being no interior [seats and such, I can fabricate new ones no problem. Is there a way to tell if there is any hull damage that would compromise its integrity in the water?

What should I look for in the engine to see if it is in bad shape or not?

As for the cost I could probably talk the guy down or trade for some stuff I have been trying to get rid of anyways.

zach103

Commander

well first thing i would do is check to see if the flywheel will turn.. if that turns than you know the motor is not seized. also make sure he has the controls.. it kind of looks like them on the bottom there but cant tell to be honest.. also id check to see if all wires are in good condition

wrzesinski

Recruit

Can I start the engine outside the water? If so what should I listen for/smell for?

Bluesail661

Cadet

If you actually get it running after not running for such a long time, you are a natural.

As Zach suggested, turn the flywheel. If that turns, she might actually run at some point but for $300 and you only want the trailer, don't spend the sellers time to try to make it run. He has it priced for someone to just come and take it.

If it makes you happy and you think it is within your skill set, go for it.

Worst thing that happens is you get a trailer for $300.00. The boat and the motor go to the dump or to someone else on craiglist.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Parts are tough to find for a Chrysler motor. I'd keep looking. There are more worthwhile project boats than that one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice catch EZ, I did not notice the Chrysler motor. EZ is correct about parts for the older Chryslers. I would keep looking!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

fish_on_the_deck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree... if you'd buy it anyway just for the trailor and scrap the boat, then go for it.

But if your wanting to get on the water in a running boat for as cheap as possible a project like this is not the answer. It will likely be cheaper and definitely easier to buy a used running motor.

On the other hand if youre just looking for something to use up a lot of time and you like this model of boat, then maybe it would work.

Point is, dont jump into something... look around first! I made this mistake with my first boat and got a "fixer-upper" thinking it was a GREAT deal... within a month after buying I had found 10 other better buys and wished that I hadent jumped on the first thing that came along.

You can get in a running boat around here anyway, for $1500... I seriously doubt you could get this on the water for less than $2000 and 3-6 months worth of effort.

that probobly dosent help any... haha.

wrzesinski

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to keep looking [by the time I rebuilt the trailer it would be more cost effective to just buy a different trailer. But I am still pretty interested in boating, /boa has become a new hangout for me on CL and I was wondering what I should look for in a boat?

i386

Captain

I'd stay away from Chrysler engines. Too dang hard to find parts and when you do they are expensive. On the other hand, it's easy to find parts for old Johnson/Evinrude and cheap too.

i386

Captain

I was wondering what I should look for in a boat?

Here's another idea that may not have been mentioned.You don't have to get a fiberglass or wood boat. There are lots of old aluminum boats out there too.

I think a 15 foot aluminum boat with a 40 HP Evinrude/Johnson would be a lot of bang for the buck. You're not limited to jon boats either with aluminum. Lots of examples here in the forums.

Bendie

Seaman

If you are looking at boats with this kind of problems, I don't think there are too many buyers out there. If you actually show up and look, with a truck, you may get it very little, if you will just haul it out.

Look for something with a Mercury engine, my opinion only.

Since this is your first boat and I assume you do want to use it I would recommend an older tinny . It can be hard to find an older glass boat cheap that doesnt need extensive hull repair which is messy and hard to do even for an experienced body man. On the plus side tinnys are light and easy on fuel compared to glass..