1992 60 hp Evinrude 60ELENE

Dave Brick

Seaman
I bought this motor from a reliable dealer/repair shop last spring. I really love the motor, and although it seems to burn quite a bit more gas than the previous 1988 yamaha 50hp which burned up 2 cylinders, that's a price I'm willing to pay for increased reliability.

"better a little too rich, than a little too lean"

The dealer said it has been entirely rebuilt, and I have no reason to doubt him.

I have seen many older Evinrudes discussed here. I have also heard people say that Evinrudes changed for the worse in the mid 1990s.

My question is, is my 1992 still one of the good, old ones, or am I in a transition to the newer ones?

I really appreciate the willingness of experts to help out here for free!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1992 60 hp Evinrude 60ELENE

You've got a "good ol' motor". Just pay attention to it. Give it what it wants, not what you want. Do your regular maintenance ie; impeller, carb kit, tune-up, lower unit oil etc. and that motor will last another 20 years or more.

Dave Brick

Seaman
Re: 1992 60 hp Evinrude 60ELENE

Another question about this motor. I have seen on this forum statements, for example, of a say, 115 hp motor really being a detuned 140, or some such.

How does one come to know this information? More to the point, was my motor "detuned" from a larger, or on the other hand, " overbored" from a smaller?

Is there a way of finding this stuff out, or do you just have to be around these motors a while to see the similarities first hand?