Removal Tool For Shift Rod Bushing

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice
1967 40 HP RDSL-29 Super Sea Horse.

So what is this magical tool for getting the brass bushing out? Something that clears the small hole and then expands into the bushing to push it out?

phoodieman

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removal Tool For Shift Rod Bushing

I did a quick search on iboats, but didn't get any results, so I googled it. (Which of course led me right back here). This 43 year old motor isn't going to let some taper tool push out a seized brass bushing. I'm going to tap into it and try to pull it out with some all thread. If that doesn't work, I'm going to get the longest end mill I have, put an extension on it and mill it until I can blow the rest out with an air gun. (Which is probably what I'm going to have to do to the seal and pin bearing right underneath the water pump for the drive shaft). I have had it with trying to be nice and if I have to trash a couple of end mills, then so be it.

phoodieman

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

contact F_R

0724101152.jpg

0724101152a.jpg

more pics here:
http://www.bigb9k.com/brp/6603e/grr.html

lindy46

Captain

Here's the tool I use:

Attachments

• punch.JPG
    punch.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 7

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I did a quick search on iboats, but didn't get any results, so I googled it. (Which of course led me right back here). This 43 year old motor isn't going to let some taper tool push out a seized brass bushing. I'm going to tap into it and try to pull it out with some all thread. If that doesn't work, I'm going to get the longest end mill I have, put an extension on it and mill it until I can blow the rest out with an air gun. (Which is probably what I'm going to have to do to the seal and pin bearing right underneath the water pump for the drive shaft). I have had it with trying to be nice and if I have to trash a couple of end mills, then so be it.

phoodieman

The one in my 1975 6HP had only been in 8 years less than yours....and it came out with the tap and pull method just fine.
FR's special tool would work as well I am sure, if you have one, or can get or make one.

Just make sure that a replacement bushing is available before you destroy the original.

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know how long this 67' sat, but there was no oil in the gear case and just about every bushing and seal is stuck in place. All the gears seem to be OK.

Chris

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to the forum for the help. The 5/16 18 wouldn't push the bushing out. It just ripped out. I went to a 3/8 16, left the tap in and used a punch to knock the bushing and tap out together. About the third sharp blow did it.

DSC00001-1.jpg

phoodieman

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I think the idea of the tap is to create about 3 threads (5/16") and then thread a 5/16" bolt into it. At this point you can just pull on the bolt or tap it out from the underside with a 1/4" diameter rod up against this bolt.

Good to see you got it out anyways. Many ways to skin a cat.

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

I agree. That I got it out is what matters. Of course I have to buy a new bushing, but I think I had that coming any way. Now on to the upper drive shaft seal and needle bearing. Gladly these are the last two I have to get out on the gear case. I considered a bearing puller, but I think I am beyond that. I'm going to clamp the gear case on the mill table and ease into metal part of the seal. Hopefully it will break loose. If not I'll mill it out close to the casting. (Last thing I want to do is break anything). I think if I clear the seal out, I can knock the needle bearing out. (Fingers Crossed).

DSC00001-2.jpg

phoodieman

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The one in my 1975 6HP had only been in 8 years less than yours....and it came out with the tap and pull method just fine.
FR's special tool would work as well I am sure, if you have one, or can get or make one.

Just make sure that a replacement bushing is available before you destroy the original.

F_R's tool works excellent. I have one myself and I swear by it. It will take the brass bushing out without destroying it. If it does, I'll give you a new bushing myself.:D

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

No need to buy me a bushing. I trust the gurus. Give me dimensions and I will turn me this tool for future use and share with others when needed.

Phoodieman

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

they're only $12.95 apiece. Why use up your time, when you can better spend it fishin?:D

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a drill bit extension.
Works great, just stick the 1/4" end that goes in the drill, into the bushing from the top, the shoulder is just the right size to pass through the hole in the alm casting, I hit it with a 3lb hammer.

Infact, I just used it last week, only took a minute to get a bushing out thats been there since '58

Oh yeah, this works for putting the bushing back in to

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I used a 5/16" rod cut from my kids old crib. Ground one end down to a 1/4" taper and it has worked everytime. No need to trash the bushing. And even if you do thread the bushing it will still work. The only thing it is doing is holding the O ring in. The condition of the bushing is not that critical. It might create miniscule more slop in the shifter if you have enlarged the hole, that's all.

phoodieman

Seaman Apprentice

they're only $12.95 apiece. Why use up your time, when you can better spend it fishin?:D

That is well said as the crappie are about to get theirs around here soon. But I turned these tools VERY quickly on the lathe from material I had laying around. The larger one pushed the needle bearing and oil seal out and I didn't have to get mean and do something stupid. I did have to hit the tool quite hard though to get these old seals to move. Waiting for one more seal and I should have a tight sealed gear case when I am done.

BushingTools.jpg

phoodieman

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Hey BigB...excellent link & very informative. You obviously spent a lot of time documenting...well done! One problem of note: After the "flywheel" section, the "next" link seems to be broken & I could not go any further. Also, the "home" link was broken as well and I could not view info prior to the "gearcase."

Is this an issue, or was the server just down as I was trying to access, or did I view everything?

Just wanting more of your great work,
Mas

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That is well said as the crappie are about to get theirs around here soon. But I turned these tools VERY quickly on the lathe from material I had laying around. The larger one pushed the needle bearing and oil seal out and I didn't have to get mean and do something stupid. I did have to hit the tool quite hard though to get these old seals to move. Waiting for one more seal and I should have a tight sealed gear case when I am done.

phoodieman

Hmmm... I think I needs to get a metal lathe setup! Nice.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

No need to buy me a bushing. I trust the gurus. Give me dimensions and I will turn me this tool for future use and share with others when needed.

Phoodieman

The bushing cost me $5-, and I just used a 5/16" bolt and couple of nuts as a puller for the old one.
I have a 10' swing Atlas lathe in the basement, and it truly is a luxury item and great to have!
But you have to recognise when you are using it for 1/2 an hour to save 10 minutes.
By the time I would have had it set up to turn a tool so I might save the old bushing, I had the old one out, and the new one in.

Turning a taper is sure not rocket science, but tapping a pre-drilled hole is even easier....;):D

andreipou

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello,

Looks like all links to this tool are dead.

Is there any way to buy it anywhere?

Thanks.