Summersville Lake, WV

53skipper

Cadet
I am thinking of a three or four day trip to Summersville Lake next summer. Anybody have recommendations for lodging, food, access etc?

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Summersville Lake, WV

We stay at Battle Run Campground there when we go. Now we are new to boating and have not taken our boat there yet, but Battle Run has two entry points near the office, and even if you do not camp there you can use the access. I think there is a cost of 3 dollars on some days...Also a nice entry at a place called Salmon Run, which is about 3-4 miles away from the campground, on the same road that goes to the airport. It is a pleasant place to launch although like all of them it gets crowded. On the same road you can get to the marina, which also has launches but it is CROWDED. I might be able to offer better directions after I think a bit here, but I think you can research these places online OK. there is also another campground on this road but it is always booked up. Food, there is a place called "Fat Eddies" right near the dam itself, good food and great refeshments. There are plenty of other places to eat in Summersville, Shoneys, Captain D's, Burger King, Bob Evans etc. and a lot more I am not remembering. A Walmart is close by, boat rentals, even camper rentals. I cannot recomend any hotels since we have not used them but they have several. We camp there every year and fish, could not get our boat out there this year as we got a late start. Fishing is good there, although it will depend on when you are there and what you are after. Smallmouth, walleye, largemouth, and rock bass are good to catch although during the day when boat traffic is heavy it is harder.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

The other campground I was thinking of was Mountain Lake Campground, 1898 Airport Road.....When you make the turnoff to Airport Road off the main highway Salmon Run is a SHARP left as soon as you start up the road....the marina access is a few miles out Airport road on the right, and Mountain Lake is a little further.....My son and his family stayed out there and they cater to kids and even if you do not camp there they have a barbque place there as you pull in that is GREAT.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

FYI to anyone else reading this, there is trout fishing pretty much YEAR ROUND at the base of the dam there.....even during hot summers. The water is so cold there that trout are stocked in the exit waters at the power station there. Close by the first campground I mentioned, small brookies up to large rainbows and browns. Might take some hiking to get to the best spots but worth it for year round trout.