87' Mariner 2 stroke 45hp,no fire on all 4 cylinders.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have put in a new cdi stator,new cdi trigger and a used switch box bought on ebay, and the result is no fire on any cylinders, and with my peak reading stevens cd 77 meter, I'm getting no voltage on the dis-connected kill wire black/yellow runner, cranking the engine. But the terminal that the kill wire is fastened to on the switch box(un-connected) I'm getting 280v to ground. The reason I put in a new trigger was because one wire was bare and cracked badly, although was getting the required volts. The stator was replaced because at the time I was getting no ohm reading between blue and blue/white, and 350v between the two blues ,but switching blue wire and blue/white to red and red white ,the problem moved.(when I had fire on top two)cylinders. I dis-connected the two yellow wires from stator to eliminate the rectifier battery charging circuit. This engine has gone from barely running,then quiting and at one time ran great for five minutes,shut it down and all cylinders dead ten minutes later ,before the new stator that is........ Bernie

Re: 87' Mariner 2 stroke 45hp,no fire on all 4 cylinders.

Disconnect the wiring harness (pronge plug) at the motor. Crank over starter solenoid and watch for spark. If you have no spark at all sounds like a boat side harness problem.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87' Mariner 2 stroke 45hp,no fire on all 4 cylinders.

Well guess what......I put the original switchbox back in and the engine fires up and running. So the problem was a bad stator afterall. The used switchbox I bought on ebay was junk. I was reading one pros opinion on this board about just replace both the stator and switchbox ,why take a chance and blow the new stator with a questionable 20 or 25 year old switchbox unit. Makes sense, but I'm already in the doghouse over this boat, but it is running , Yahoo.........