What is the maximum size of a boat could 2 people handle?

mrandredparis

Recruit
What is the maximum size of a boat could 2 people handle and still sail safely? What's the minimum that 2 people could comfortably sail in?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: What is the maximum size of a boat could 2 people handle?

When you say 'sail', are you truly meaning a sail boat or are you using the general term sail as in operating a vessel?

With 2 people in a motorized vessel, I would think 65-70' would be pushing the boundries of safe operation. Although it only takes 1 person to actually pilot a boat, it's the slow speed operation, docking, attending lines, etc which require an additional person. I know I operate a 40' solo, but when docking, I have to move quickly from the flybridge to the deck before wind/current decide to move me about.

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer on wind powered vessels. Don't know anything about them, except they look like too much work for me!

Bluesail661

Cadet

In reality, it comes down to your comfort level and the type of boating you want to do. Is there a max limit to how big a boat you and your partner could handle? Sure but it may be far less than some and far greater than others.

With the development of roller furling and powered winches, sail boats than can be sailed "short handed" have gotten much bigger. What used to take strong backs to manage is now handled by a touch of a button.

Choose the type of boating you want to do and if it seems beyond your comfort level, take lessons and gain the confidence you need to get there.

Good Luck,

Chuck

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you know what you are doing 2 people can operate a pretty big boat... over 50ft. i have docked 40+ft boats by myself before, although you have to move pretty fast.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

What is the maximum size of a boat could 2 people handle and still sail safely? What's the minimum that 2 people could comfortably sail in?

The Coast Guard publishes regulations which are enforceable on tidal waters. They also publish minimum crew requirements within the regulations which apply to vessels of given lengths whether private or commercial. It used to be, when we piloted vessels of this size, that a crew of 3 was the requirement for a 41 ft vessel and probably still is.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

If your actually talking a sail boat alot of it comes down to how the boat is equipped. You can rig a sail boat so that it can be piloted single handedly.

With two people, experience, and the right rigging you could run a huge sailboat.

I have a friend who him and his dad work on big diesel boats. His dad has his CG license and they deliver 100 footers from here (SW FL) to the Bahamas and other places all the time.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hard to answer this question without more info. What type of vessel? What is the previous experience of the people? What season and where is the vessel going to be operated? 2 moderately experienced people could operate a 50' houseboat on a large lake on a summer weekend, but be out of sorts on a 26' center console when trying to dock at night in a crowded marina.
Larry

sasto

Captain

2 of us lived on a 65 sportfish for 9 years and traveled from the Great Lakes to the Caribbean yearly. We were required to have a third person navigating the locks in the Welland Canal......but recommended in any lock. Good luck..:)