How Much Power?

32_d3gr33s

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section... (I'm not really being model select, and i figured i'd have better results asking it here)

I have a 135hp outboard, ('74 evinrude for those interested) and i was just curious about how much electrical load one could handle (i guess thats how I'll word it...)

I want to put a killer stereo system in my boat, but want to make sure i could power it. I plan on just a decent deck, four 6x9 speakers and at least one 12 inch sub, or possibly instead two 10inch subs, with a larger amp to power the sub(s). Would an outboard be able to keep up with the amount of juice that a system like that would consume, or should I get another deep cell (or 2)? any suggestions would be awesome

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: How Much Power?

I don't have specs.....but I know it can't handle it. Outboards have very low power output. Definitely don't have that stuff hooked up to your starting battery.

bear_69cuda

Commander

For killer stereo, I'd run 2 deep cycle batteries in parallel, separate from cranking battery. Then use on-board charger to charge after each outing...

2 deep cycles should last for a decent amount of time, unless your running some insane 5000 watt tri-amped crossover system...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

as far as stereo gear, that is fairly tame, it could be MUCH, MUCH worse! (did competitive car audio for quite a few years, my systems were usually worth more than the vehicle they were installed in)

Anyway, that said, it depends a lot on how you listen to it. You can assume there isn't more than 10 amps of free current available. So if your listening habits draw more than 10 amps average, you have a problem. (10 amps sustained of sound power is actually A LOT) Just keep the number of devices down. Its far better to run a single 6 channel amp, than 3 - 2 channel amps. Same goes for eq's, don't bother in a marine environment, its just one more thing to draw power.

jp10

Seaman

IPod wired directly to a 6 ch amp. Four 6" round speakers, and a 10" sub. Insane capability. Why put in a head unit?

jp10

Seaman

Use high quality speakers, Polk Ultra Marine sound fab. No need for 2 subs, one 10 inch shakes my seats and hull.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are limits to what that boat can have, based on it's size. Two batteries is max, so plan your power needs accordingly.

Personnally, with the wind noise inherent in a boat, I think top notch stereos are a waste of $$. If you had a quiet room, you could really appreciate the fine sound, that would be different. I would stick with a modest stereo and a single battery, but that is just me.

BTW- have you thought of what the moisture in a boat will do to your stereo electronics? You are not near saltwater, are you?

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

The amount or type of speakers you install have absolutely nothing to do with the amp draw. A pair of 6" round speakers will draw the same current from a given 100 watt amp as 10 15" woofers will. Install the sound system you want and pay attention to the current draw od the amps you use, then buy enough deep cycle batteries to power it long enough for your average boating session and charge the batteries with a suitable charger when you get home. Personally I wouldn't load down the starting battery or the charging system on the motor with accesories.