85hp yamaha problem

yftcaptdan

Cadet
I've got an 85hp yamaha and have just redone a lot of the electrical(new relays and new pulser coil). I'm getting a shudder like a spun hub on the prop when I try to give it gas to try and plane off. It will move forward at a low rpm ok. I just put a new prop so i know its not the hub. Sometimes it will plane off fine and run great. When it does do the shudder it also will not rev in neutral. It goes into a safe mode of sorts and will rev a little then kind of sputtter like its dropped a cylinder. Will a bad neutral safety switch do this or is it a pad plug or is it a bad cylinder? I checked compression and the top cylinder is a little off from the others. Thanks for any input.

Re: 85hp yamaha problem

What's a little? The neutral safety switch is located in the remote control and if it was bad the motor would not even turn over. What year is it, model number?

yftcaptdan

Cadet

I figured it out. I had a mechanic clean the pistons and cylinders (mistake, i was too busy to do myself) and the dummy put the wrong spark plugs in. He put ones rated for 150hp and up. I changed them to the right ones and now the motor runs great with no shuddering or rev problems.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

same plug
either b8 or br8, either can be used in the c85.

yftcaptdan

Cadet

I put b8hs10 ngx's in. there was br9hs10 ngk r in from the mechanic :mad: I noticed the washer is different and even the threads look a tiny different. I was concerned that I'd overtighten the new ones and strip the head. :eek:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

same threads, thats not a problem just the 9 is slightly colder than the 8.